groovyPost Forums

April Updates May Break Your VPN on Windows

Not such good news with the latest April updates for Windows 10 and 11. The updates may break your VPN connection. 

According to Microsoft:
“Windows devices might face VPN connection failures after installing the April 2024 security update (KB5036893) or the April 2024 non-security preview update.” It affects multiple versions o Windows 10 and 11. It also affects most of Windows Server. 

You do have a few options, though.

If you haven’t received the latest Windows updates yet, you can pause Windows Update on your Windows 11 system for up to 5 weeks. For Windows 10 users, you can block updates for the time being.

If you already have the updates, and VPN isn’t working correctly, you can roll always roll back Windows Update. However, that is going to leave you without the important security updates and bug fixes the April updates provide.

If you don’t want to roll back Windows updates, and your VPN connection isn’t working, you can look at our guide on how to fix VPN not working on Windows and possibly find a fix to the issue.

Finally, Microsoft advises everyone to use the Get Help app which is built into Windows 10 and 11. If you are on Windows Server, Microsoft advises that admins in small businesses and enterprises to reach out to Support for Small Business.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian said:

PIA is working fine...so far anyway

I've got NordVPN and it's working but then again, I don't know if I have the updates yet. It's been a long time since Microsoft screwed up my PC from Windows update. It used to bluescreen me all the time. but that's back in the windows 7 days...

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1