groovyPost Forums

What is SecureW2 Enterprise Client 3.5.7 (sw2_tray.exe) ?

jshepp
Go to solution Solved by jgnetworksecurity,

I don't recall installing this program, but apparently I did so earlier this month. It caught my eye when I did a check of the processes running. I googled it but got a bunch a mumbo-jumbo about security and wireless networks. I assume that it was installed in some recent Windows update? Do I even need this process/program?

Sometimes I wish there was an readable directory of processes out there...

• Solution

SecureW2 Enterprise Client is a third party used in organizations and universities for authentication (802.1x). If you do not use EAP or PEAP for 802.1x authentication, then you do not need this program. Windows Update should not have installed this since it is a commercial product of Secure W2 B.V. (A Dutch corporation). Is your computer part of an active directory domain? This is something that would most likely be used by an IT department within an enterprise network for extra security. If you only use this computer at home and are not required to authenticate via EAP or PEAP at work or at school, then you should not need this installed. I don't know why you would have installed it however, so think if you use this computer to connect to any corporate networks before you remove it. (802.1x is a protocol which is used for authentication usually in large corporate networks, for EAP, LEAP, and PEAP) I hope this helps.

SecureW2 Enterprise Client is a third party used in organizations and universities for authentication (802.1x). If you do not use EAP or PEAP for 802.1x authentication, then you do not need this program. Windows Update should not have installed this since it is a commercial product of Secure W2 B.V. (A Dutch corporation). Is your computer part of an active directory domain? This is something that would most likely be used by an IT department within an enterprise network for extra security. If you only use this computer at home and are not required to authenticate via EAP or PEAP at work or at school, then you should not need this installed. I don't know why you would have installed it however, so think if you use this computer to connect to any corporate networks before you remove it. (802.1x is a protocol which is used for authentication usually in large corporate networks, for EAP, LEAP, and PEAP) I hope this helps.

I use this laptop for my own personal use. Yeah it baffles me how it got there in the first place. I have no memory of installing it.