groovyPost Forums

Can splitters go both ways?

Go to solution Solved by dw96,

So, I'm looking at purchasing a 3.5 mm splitter with two males and one female, similar to this. I've never used splitters before, so I was just curious, is it possible for them to be used two different ways. In this case, for example, can i use it to split one audio input to two outputs AND/OR use it to take two audio inputs and merge it to one output. Thanks in advance.

• Solution

Unfortunately you can't. Splitters go only one way and there is no way to reconfigure them to do their job "in reverse". In this case (with the amazon cable you posted) the cable is designed to have the female part of it as an input and the two male ends as an output.

Edit: +1 vote on your question, though. I believe this is something a lot of people should know.

Unfortunately you can't. Splitters go only one way and there is no way to reconfigure them to do their job "in reverse". In this case (with the amazon cable you posted) the cable is designed to have the female part of it as an input and the two male ends as an output.

Edit: +1 vote on your question, though. I believe this is something a lot of people should know.

I guess what I need is the opposite of what this one does. I did a little looking around and I just wanted a quick confirm: I should be looking for a Y Cable and not a Splitter? Thanks.