groovyPost Forums

What happens when I save a file that was located in the temporary internet folder?

mimi
Go to solution Solved by Steve Krause,

what happens when i save a file that was located in the temporary internet folder?

Today I opened a file directly from the internet (So I did not save the file at first) and made a lot of changes to the content of the file. After I was done altering the content I clicked to close the file, after which I had to select wether or not I wanted to "save" the changes I had mad or wether I wanted to cancel the command. I chose to save my alterations.. Now I cannot locate the file anymore. Can someone please tell me what happens when you "save" (not "save as") a file that was previously located in the temporary internet folder?

Sadly enough the file might not be able to be recovered. Files stored in temporary Internet folders get deleted right after you close your browser. Say I download an image to my temporary Internet folder. To open and view the image, my browser needs to stay open, but as soon as I close it the file will be deleted.

Sadly enough the file might not be able to be recovered. Files stored in temporary Internet folders get deleted right after you close your browser. Say I download an image to my temporary Internet folder. To open and view the image, my browser needs to stay open, but as soon as I close it the file will be deleted.

Thank you for answering to my question. Looks like I'll have a very long day ahead of me.. To try and redo what has been lost..

• Solution

You can also try to find the file. 2 Things I would try. First, go back into Word or Excel (not sure app you were using) and look under the Recent Items Tab. If your lucky, it still might be there.

Another option is to download another file exactly like you did earlier. Now click File-Save-As and this should give you the path to where all the files are being saved. Look around and you might find your file. hopefully it's there....

You can also try to find the file. 2 Things I would try. First, go back into Word or Excel (not sure app you were using) and look under the Recent Items Tab. If your lucky, it still might be there.

Another option is to download another file exactly like you did earlier. Now click File-Save-As and this should give you the path to where all the files are being saved. Look around and you might find your file. hopefully it's there....

Your assistance is very much appreciated.

Thanks.

A good way to avoid this might be to set your temporary internet folder to sync in Dropbox with a symlink.

We have two articles on the topic:

Setup Any Folder to Sync With Dropbox

and

Sync Dropbox to never lose Office Files

Files aren't always deleted immediately. You might be able to track down your temporary internet files folder and get the file back.