groovyPost Forums

Outlook 2010, Batch File, Client-Only Problem

Guest JosephMCasey

Guest JosephMCasey

I tried looking through this forum for something very similar to this, but I couldn't find anything. Any who, my friend recently showed me how he uses Outlook 2010 and his smart phone to shut off his computer, so he can turn it off easily without having to worry about other people getting on his computer. I've done most of the steps needed to do this, but I am stuck on one last part. Let me explain.

I've set up the Outlook account for pop3 incoming, I made a batch file called textshutdown.bat with the right sourcing, and I made a rule that upon receiving an email with the body or subject "Shutdown' then the computer would immediately force itself to shut down. Well I send the email through my smart phone, but it only works if I have outlook open then receive the email, or it only works if I received the email then open Outlook. I was told that when the rules are sometimes forced to be client-only, and client only rules don't work if you are not runnign Outlook 2010. Is there anyway for me to bypass the rule, so I can run this rule without Outlook 2010 running. At the least, is there any similar solution to the one I am asking. My friend tells me that I should be able to go to the source code and script out the client only part. Please help, I will further explain anything that needs to be explained. :(