groovyPost Forums

Keep outlook PST files on Network home drives

Guest Joseph

Guest Joseph

Hi,

At work my IT guy recently suggested I keep my PST file on my network home drive / directory because someone just lost their hard drive and the PST files were gone.

Is this best practice? Is it safe? I'm worried about file corruption or loss of email in my PST files.

Thanks!

Guest poneil

It's not a problem but you need to keep 2 things in mind:

1 - The PST files will not travel with you if you have a notebook PC which will make it so you can't access them.

2 - Depending on your network speed, you might get some slow response time from accessing the PST files.

Just some of my experience.

;)

And you can actually get around the #1 issue if you enable Client Side Caching AKA - Offline Files and Folder on the client. This way the file will remain in SYNC and be available Offline.

Let me know if you need help setting it up.

Now.... that all being said Microsoft actually recommends against storing PST files on network shares. It can result is very chatty network traffic between the Outlook Client and the server hosting the .PST files. I've seen a Windows Server be taken to it's knees because 100+ users were using it to store .pst files on it.. Not good. :)