groovyPost Forums

Virtualized network

Guest encounter779

Guest encounter779

I am an independent software reseller that would like to test out some new software that operates in a network environment, but I don't have a network to test this software on. Can I use my own PC and create a "virtual network" with virtual work stations & a server? If I like the software, would I be able to demo it over this network to another person via the web?

What would be the best way to do this? I'd prefer a free solution, but would be open to anything.

Thanks

• 5 months later...
Guest parallelparabola
I am an independent software reseller that would like to test out some new software that operates in a network environment, but I don't have a network to test this software on. Can I use my own PC and create a "virtual network" with virtual work stations & a server? If I like the software, would I be able to demo it over this network to another person via the web?

What would be the best way to do this? I'd prefer a free solution, but would be open to anything.

Thanks

Like MrGroove said, VMWare server and the Windows VM technology both seem like what you are looking for. I've tried both and they might be a little bit too difficult for someone who is new to Virtual Machines. I know VMWare server is free, but I'm not sure about the price of Microsoft's VM technology. I've only used the Microsoft VM stuff for a college class when I had to use it, and personally, I didn't like it very much.

At home, I use VirtualBox. The software is GPL but it is owned by Oracle. It has everything I want and the interface to set up a new virtual machine is rather simple to use, and it's also free. A huge factor that helped me decide to use VirtualBox is that that there is a large community of support for the product.

Then again, this all depends on which OS you are using. I am assuming that you want your virtual machine to run a Windows Machine under Windows 7/XP. If you want to run Windows under Linux, I would again suggest VirtualBox. The setup for VMWare Server in Linux is a real pain :cry:

• 2 weeks later...