groovyPost Forums

How-To Configure Windows XP to show File Extensions

Steve Krause

How-to Configure Windows XP to Show File Extensions

Step 1 - Right Click XP Start Menu and Click Explorer

Step 2 - Click Tools, Folder Options

Step 3 - Click the View Tab then scroll down and Un-Check the box Hide extensions for known file types

Step 4 - Click OK

That's it! You should not see the file extension for all file types while navigating in Windows Explorer.

I just realized I created a groovyPost tutorial for How-to Configure Windows 7 to show File Extensions however I never did the same for Windows XP. Being that a user needs this info the quickest thing to do is just create a forum post on the subject rather than the detailed groovyPost step-by-step.

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...
Guest thomaspiter

1.On your desktop, open My Computer. If you don't see My Computer, then open any folder.

2.Select the Tools menu, & then select Folder Options ....

3. In the Folder Options windows, click on the View tab.

4. Uncheck the box next to Hide file extensions for known file types

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest francisfleming

Step 1: Start the System Configuration Utility Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK.The System Configuration Utility dialog box is displayed.

Step 2: Configure selective startup options In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click the General tab, and then click Selective Startup.Click to clear the Process SYSTEM.INI File check box.Click to clear the Process WIN.INI File check box.Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box. Verify that Load System Services and Use Original BOOT.INI are checked.Click the Services tab. Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box. Click Disable All, and then click OK. When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.

Step 3: Log on to Windows If you are prompted, log on to Windows. When you receive the following message, click to select the Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows start check box, and then click OK.