groovyPost Forums

Outlook 2010 - adding additional mailbox?

pts123

Your groovyPost Daily Email update for today was screenshots for adding an additional mailbox in Outlook 2010. Being an IT worker, I consider myself above average on understanding Outlook issues.

I have been using 2010 for a few months and I love it, but I have never added an additional mailbox to a specific Email account. I do have three different Email accounts running on one screen/mailbox and .pst file. When I follow your screenshots, I highlight the account and click change, but I am taken to a screen that says "Internet Email Settings". I selected manual entry of info when I created this account, so maybe that changes the whole process. There is a button that says "more settings", but it goes to something totally different than your screenshots.

My accounts are set-up for POP3 type email and your screenshots have Exchange on them, so possibly the precess changes when using an Exchange server. Maybe you could provide this same lesson for POP3, probably the majority of your readers are using POP3 anyway.

Also you didn't really explain the purpose of adding the additional mailbox? Does it create a seperate .pst file? And how would you direct specific email to each different mailbox. Remeber the email is coming into one account. Would "rules" be set-up to guide specific email to the correct mailbox, etc . . . thanks

JD KC

Heya. Lot's of good questions and good points. I think you are right. I probably need to update the article to make it a bit more clear!

OK lets look at each your questions 1 at a time!

When I follow your screenshots, I highlight the account and click change, but I am taken to a screen that says "Internet Email Settings". I selected manual entry of info when I created this account, so maybe that changes the whole process. There is a button that says "more settings", but it goes to something totally different than your screenshots. My accounts are set-up for POP3 type email and your screenshots have Exchange on them, so possibly the precess changes when using an Exchange server.

Yes... The screenshots I took are showing the process for a Corporate user who has their Outlook client connected to a Microsoft Exchange email server. The process will be different for POP3 or IMAP mailboxes.

Maybe you could provide this same lesson for POP3, probably the majority of your readers are using POP3 anyway.

Very good point. I will try to work on that tonight (no promises) however it should be a rather quick How-To tutorial to write. I will update this thread and the old article to point at the new article once I get it written!!!

Also you didn't really explain the purpose of adding the additional mailbox? Does it create a seperate .pst file?

The purpose is simple in both a Microsoft Exchange and POP3/IMAP scenario. Essentially adding additional mailboxes allows you to have multiple email accounts in a single Outlook instance. This is nice in the event you need to read and send email from your primary account and a shared account like a HelpDesk or Sales account etc... Or, perhaps you have a WORK account and a HOME account and you want to have both up and running.

I'll be sure to document these different scenarios for ya in another article.

In regards to the .PST files, for exchange mailboxes, there is no PST files used however an OST file is created with Exchange which allows you to cache the server email on your local outlook client. This allows you to disconnect from the network and still read email. For IMAP and POP3 accounts, a separate .PST file is created for each account.

And how would you direct specific email to each different mailbox. Remember the email is coming into one account. Would "rules" be set-up to guide specific email to the correct mailbox, etc . . . thanks

Each additional mailbox is just that. It's a separate EXCHANGE mailbox or a separate IMAP or POP3 account. So email is sent into the inbox of whichever account it was emailed to (email address). In regards to rules, I know for EXCHANGE accounts, when you setup an outlook rule you can specify which mailbox/account the rule is applied to (at least you could with Outlook 2007). I think the same is true for Outlook 2010 and POP3/IMAP accounts. Will need to test this.

Stay tuned!