groovyPost Forums

System Imaging

Guest monazz

Guest monazz

I am looking to create a system image of my hard drive because it seems to be reporting errors. I was looking to reformat the drive and then restore the data using the system image. I understand that imaging takes an exact copy of the drive. If you then restore using system image after formatting the hard drive are you then restoring the errors as well?

Also, I tried to format the drive using the windows 7 boot cd. When it got to the hard drives information page it would not give me access to perform a format on the Windows system drive. I have another HDD and that can be formatted no problem.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Hi Monazz,

I was looking to reformat the drive and then restore the data using the system image. I understand that imaging takes an exact copy of the drive. If you then restore using system image after formatting the hard drive are you then restoring the errors as well?

It really depends on the why your getting the errors. If your having issues because of a virus or malware or corrupted system files yes, when you restore your system image you will restoring the problem back onto your drive with the system image. This is true if you use your old drive or a new drive to restore your image onto it.

If however your having issues because your Hard Drive is failing and you have some bad sectors, then if you do an image (and it allows you to do the image) of the drive then restore it onto a new drive, you should be fine. The only problem here is a bad hard drive could die in the middle of the image AND, files might already be corrupted.

Also, I tried to format the drive using the windows 7 boot cd. When it got to the hard drives information page it would not give me access to perform a format on the Windows system drive. I have another HDD and that can be formatted no problem.

You cannot format your existing system drive in Windows. What you will need to do is put the drive into another computer and format it. Another option would be to use the Windows 7 Image Restore process. http://www.groovypost.com/howto/microso ... ge-backup/