groovyPost Forums

XP attaches only the shortcut not display folder contents

Guest lektem

Hi,

I have been experiencing a strange problem.

I am a user of XP Pro. Since recently, when I want to attach a file to an email (either on Outlook Exprees or on Gmail interface), XP started attaching the shortcut of folders. I, however, want to click on a shortcut of a folder and see its content and choose a file from there.

I tried this on my notebook and this problem does not exist in it. I click on the shortcut of a folder and see the files in it, choose one of them and it is attached to the email. Everything is normal there.

What is your suggestion?

Wow that sounds strange. I'm not sure how you got it to do that.

So when you try to browse through your email attach dialog, and then click a folder shortcut that is on your browser. Instead of going to the folder it just attaches the folder shortcut?

I tried to replicate the problem but it just won't do it!

Definitely something unique. Are you sure it's a folder shortcut and not a compressed folder?

• 5 months later...

Wow! A really weird problem, but it does make sense.

Shortcuts are actually just .lnk files containing the original directory of a folder/file/program etc.

When attaching the file try right clicking on the folder shortcut and selecting "Open" or "Browse" (not sure how it was). That should get you in the folder and you'll be able to choose the files you need.

Please post back with the results!