groovyPost Forums

Windows defender:Application failed to initialize

Guest ann

What a GREAT site. I am not very technical but managed ok with XP but Vista is a nightmare so this site is just what I need :D

Thank you for the instructions on how to disable Defender, they worked just fine.

The only trouble is every time I switch on i now get an error message

Windows defender:Application failed to initialize 0x800106ba.etc

Is there a way of stopping this message appearing?

Many thanks, Ann

Hello Ann!

Welcome to the site! I'm glad you find it helpful.

I actually had the same problem your getting. I can't remember which of the 3 I used to make it stop but one of them fixed it :)

1 - Disable Windows Defender Service in Windows Server 2008 or Vista

2 - Disable Windows Defender for Microsoft Vista

3 - Remove Windows Defender from Vista System Startup

Do you remember which one you've already done? My guess is you probably disabled the Service (First one) and now it's having problems trying to start because it's in the Startup.

So, if you did #1, #3 will probably fix your problem.

Let me know and keep me updated! I wish I would have documented this in the Articles. Will have to update after you get back to me ;)

You guessed right Mr Groove :) I had used the Services method as in No1 in your list.

Now, by using No.3 in your list I have got rid of the error message ie Application failed.

It maybe of interest to you to know that during the process my screen varied from yours (I have tried to print screen but it wouldn't copy in here, sorry). I will try to explain as best I can!

When I clicked the start button & typed in MSCONFIG I didn't get "Security" under Help & support as in your diagram (Right hand side).

ALSO

Left hand side of screen in the box at the bottom is Search Everywhere

Search the Internet

Top of this box is Programs

MSCONFIG

I had to click on MSCONFIG to get the System Configuration

Thank you for your help, Regards Ann

Excellent Feedback Ann!

I'm very glad to see your problem has been resolved! Thank you for the posts and keeping me updated on getting this fixed for you!

Some comments regarding your experience:

1) I'm going to update the Main Article Today with your feedback. It annoys me that I caused you to get an error by following my article in #1. I'll be sure to add in the steps to get rid of the error message as well.

2) The screenshots I took are probably a bit confusing. I was just trying to show how to Launch MSConfig. The "Windows Security" in the first image actually didn't have anything to do with the Article/Launching the MSCONFIG

3) Search Everywhere Vs. Search the Internet - That's odd. Must be a new version of Windows Search / Vista or something...??? That's an old screenshot so Microsoft must have changed something in Vista.

4) For future reference, there are 2 methods to inserting a picture/image into a post here at GroovyPost. Take a look at the image below:

Pq1xBdV9.jpg

In the example I used the "Add Image to Post" link and in the example below I used the "Add an Attachment". In both options you need to have the Image saved somewhere to post it, it cant just be in your Clipboard (Copy/Paste).

Thanks again!

ForumImg.jpg.0f7de5e822652cb4fd94d79e6b09523d.jpg

Hi Mr Groove

Glad I was of help. Don't worry about causing me any problems, you really helped.

Out of interest I tried to add the screen image via your instructions but I don't get the "Add attachment" on my reply box. Perhaps I need to adjust my settings or something.

I copied the screen pic into Word & tried to add it as an image but obviously it was the wrong format & came up as an invalid file!

Never mind. I don't suppose I will need to be adding any images, anyway I am sure it would work if I had a jpg. etc

Many Thanks again for your time :D

Regards Ann