groovyPost Forums

Can Windows Subsystem for Linux speed up Windows 10? (Reader Question)

Steve Krause
Go to solution Solved by Steve Krause,

• Solution

In the 2020 update for windows they are talking about the new "Windows Subsystem for Linux 2". Last week i got a promotion to buy 16 or 32 GB USB drive which increase speed of the old computer in 2-3 times. They also promising that this new USB will work even the main hard drive of the old computer is not working at all.

In some comments of people who already bought it, i found out that new USB drive has Linux system, which is taking care of the windows in the old computer.
Is it true? What do you think about it?

Regards,
Michael

Hi Michael,

You know the saying.... if it sounds too good to be true...

Adding a USB drive to your computer is not going to speed up Windows. It's also not going to protect you if your primary hard drive fails. Sounds like a gimmick and a scam. 

There is no magic when it comes to speeding up your computer. The best way to increase the performance of your computer is to replace the main drive of your PC or laptop with an NVMe SSD or Legacy SSD drive (if your computer doesn't support NVMe M.2). 

https://www.groovypost.com/reviews/what-is-nvme-m2-ssd-drive-how-fast-is-it/ - What is NVME?
https://www.groovypost.com/howto/upgrade-laptop-install-ssd/ - Install legacy SSD drive.

Granted, if your laptop or PC was purchased within the past 3-5 years, it probably already has an SSD drive (or NVMe drive if it's 1-2 years old). 

Another way to speed up your computer is to backup all your apps and data and re-install Windows. This is a fairly drastic step which I personally don't do on my main system. It is an option however.

Hope that helps.