groovyPost Forums

How to change my system when Widows 7 expires

jocaan

I just read an article by Brian Burgess on Cord Cutting and the options involved. 

Currently I have a Ceton Cable TV card installed in my computer, I subscribe to Comcast/XFinity cable and have Windows 7 as my OS.  I love the system I currently have.  It is so convenient and helpful to me. 

Comcast hooked up a cable line to the Ceton TV card and this hookup runs through Windows Media Center.  Windows Media Center is great, super.  I can be active in watching TV, switching to my Outlook email, go on the Internet, switch to a recording or go back a few minutes or even an hour and watch previously transmitted TV by going back on the current program to review it, or do any other various activities on my computer, recording any shows I want for reference or for viewing later - I just have to go to a drop down menu and there it is. 

I have all this just sitting in front of my computer and it saved me a lot of time and energy.  When Windows 7 expires and I have to install Windows 10 the Windows Media Center program will no longer be available and even if I can download Windows Media Center the download will not be the same thing and have all the features of Windows Media Center (from what I have read) and will not properly support the Ceton TV card.  So it looks as if my whole, currently perfect arrangement will come to an end. 

Of all the options in the Coord Cutting article, I see no options that will supplant my current system without some disruption in my current situation.  So I am asking what are my best alternatives.  I mostly have a full range of channels from Comcast (regular and premium) and although I do not use many of the channels I like the freedom of being able to browse over the full range if I am inclined to do so and so with friends, visitors I like to have the full range of channels to access or go back and watch previously recorded shows.           

Thanks to any one who can give me an idea of what I will be able to do in the future.                                                            jocaan                  

@jocaan You could just use your Win 7 Media Center box as a standalone machine. Just keep it offline. I am not clear on how you're getting your cable, is it a separate line w/o Internet?

One crazy geeky thought...depending on your machine specs, you could run Win7 in a VM and still use Media Center. It would take some tinkering, but "should" be an option.

Another option and I know this could be a pain, depending on how much local content you have, would be to switch to Plex. 

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/record-live-over-the-air-tv-with-plex-dvr/

https://www.groovypost.com/unplugged/get-started-killer-plex-app-apple-tv/