groovyPost Forums

How to Disable Ads in Windows 11 Start Menu

Microsoft plans on incorporating ads into the Windows 11 Start menu. For those of you familiar with Windows 10, the company, Microsoft pulled this act with Ads on Windows 10.

So, never to give up ad revenue in lieu of a better Windows experience, the company is trying it again:

In the Windows Insider Beta build announcement, Microsoft explains: “We are now trying out recommendations to help you discover great apps from the Microsoft Store under Recommended on the Start menu.” The Insider team also noted that ads will appear on the Insider builds, not commercial PCs.

However, if enough Windows Insiders don't comment heavily on this development, we'll see ads in Windows 11. Luckily, there's a way to disable ads in Windows 10 or 11 -- just check out this article and follow the simple steps: Yes, You Can Disable Ads in Windows 11 Start Menu. If you have any thoughts or concerns, please reply to the post and let me know what you think.

I think this is just a terrible idea. I paid for Windows; don't make me look at ads.

BTW - When you say this: 

1 hour ago, Brian said:

The Insider team also noted that ads will appear on the Insider builds, not commercial PCs.

What does that mean? You mention commercials and Insider. What about "personal" home PC's?

57 minutes ago, Steve Krause said:

I think this is just a terrible idea. I paid for Windows; don't make me look at ads.

BTW - When you say this: 

What does that mean? You mention commercials and Insider. What about "personal" home PC's?

It means that, for at least the time being, the ads only show up on computers running a build from the Windows Insider Preview program. MSFT's version of beta builds of Windows. So yeah, personal home PCs, if the user opted into the Insider Preview program.