groovyPost Forums

Outlook rules executed only when Outlook OPEN

Guest dominic

@Rashid,

Some rules are executed only when Outlook is OPEN since they are Client side rather than Server side. Plz repost your issue in detail so we can troubleshoot the issue and the community of readers here can assist - You can find the Free Support Forum here - http://www.groovypost.com/forum/

Looks like Rachid and I are having the same problem. Having just learnt rules and alerts and feeling proud of that, I now find my rule (send all incoming mail not to imap.gmail.com/Inbox but to new folder imap.gmail.com/[Gmail]/Inbox) only works when Outlook is open. Not much use as I receive mails when it is closed! Any thoughts how to get round this? Thanks D

Guest justinGP

By default, after you setup your GMAIL IMAP SYNC with outlook you should have this:

imap.gmail.com

[GMAIL]

[GMAIL]\All Mail <---- All email arrives here

[GMAIL]\Drafts

[GMAIL]\Sent Mail

[GMAIL]\Spam

[GMAIL]\Starred

[GMAIL]\Trash

Inbox <----- All email arrives here also

As I show above, the email should be arriving in your Inbox folder with no outlook rules and nothing else.

Additionally, you can also setup "Rules" on the GMAIL side. This is called LABELS. I did a search and groovydude posted an article about how-to use Labels and Filters here

If you use Labels, they will arrive in your Outlook Client here:

imap.gmail.com

[GMAIL]

[GMAIL]\All Mail

[GMAIL]\Drafts

[GMAIL]\Sent Mail

[GMAIL]\Spam

[GMAIL]\Starred

[GMAIL]\Trash

Inbox

Labels 1

Labes 2 etc... <---- You can name this anything you want per the article above.

Hope this helps!

• 1 month later...
@Rashid,

now find my rule (send all incoming mail not to imap.gmail.com/Inbox but to new folder imap.gmail.com/[Gmail]/Inbox) only works when Outlook is open. Not much use as I receive mails when it is closed! Any thoughts how to get round this? Thanks D

Hmm... Thinking on this more.... iMAP is very different from Microsoft Exchange. The Outlook/Exchange combo you find at more Corporations allow you to build SERVER SIDE rules for some actions because of the Outlook/Exchange integration. I honestly don't see how an Outlook/GMAIL combo will have any of those integrations available to you.

The best you could do on this would be to create LABELS and FILTERS inside your GMAIL account as Justin noted above:

Additionally, you can also setup "Rules" on the GMAIL side. This is called LABELS. I did a search and groovydude posted an article about how-to use Labels and Filters here

Granted, as Just noted, GMAIL Labels create Outlook Folders. And these folders appear at the Top Level of the IMAP Mailbox Folder not in the [GMAIL] Subfolder off the root.

So as long as you don't need it in the [GMAIL] Subfolder, you should be fine creating the Labels/Filters.