groovyPost Forums

Manually install mysql under windows server 2003

Steve Krause

Today I ran into an issue where mysql wouldn't install. Anyone run into this?

Problem

This morning I uninstalled MySQL from a box and tried to re-install a newer version 5.1.37 - (mysql-5.1.37-win32.msi). The re-install worked greate but I started having issues with it so I decided to uninstall and re-install again using the MSI.

The second install I ran into issues. When I kicked off the .MSI it would run for about 15 seconds then die with the error message:

MySQL Server 5.1 Setup Wizard ended prematurely

The Wizard was interrupted before MySQL Server 5.1 could be completely installed. Your system has not been modified. To complete installation at another time, please run setup again.

[attachment=0]mysqlerror.png[/attachment]

I tried to close everything including scrubbing the registry and all the drives purging MySQL from everywhere I could find but I couldn't figure it out.

Solution

Google basically got me what I needed. I looked around and it appears others are having the same problem with the MySQL installer.

http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=45406

http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=45418

When I ended up doing in the end was taking the advice from Jiayou in the first thread listed and just did a manual install.

[1 Jul 18:10] Jiayou Kan

1. Preparation:
 . login windows server 2003 as admin
 . 7z preinstalled (Make sure 7Zip is installed)
 . download 2 install packages of mysql:
   a) Windows MSI Installer(x86) -- about 97.9M
   b) Without installer (unzip in C:\) --- about 119.7M
2. Installation:
 (1) unzip without installer (unzip in C:\) to "C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.1"
 (2) rename "C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.1\bin\mysqld.exe" as "mysqld-nt.exe"
 (3) open Window MSI Installer(x86) with 7z -> open "product.cab" -> extract "dfile1" to "C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.1" and  extract "MySQLInstanceConfig.exe" to "C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.1\bin"
 (4) rename "dfile1" as "my-template.cnf"
 (5) Start -> Run... -> regedit
     open "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE"
     under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE" create a new key named "MYSQL AB" if there isn't such key
     under "MYSQL AB" create a new key named "MySQL Server 5.1" if it doesn't exist
     under "MySQL Server 5.1" create 2 new string value:
       * "Location" with value "C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.1"
       * "Version" with value "5.1.35"
 (6) run "MySQLInstanceConfig.exe" create a new server instance just like before. (and don't forget firewall settings ect.)

During the How-To Steps above, you can install MYSQL anywhere. I prefer to install to d:\mysql to keep the system drive clean.

Running the MySQLInstanceConfig.exe will create the MySQL Services and get you rolling.

Although I was frustrated with the original issue, I'm glad I ran across the quick how-to for the mysql install.

• 2 weeks later...