groovyPost Forums

The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

Guest ahbosch

Guest ahbosch

HI there

I currently Converted from virtual server to Hyper V, the one server converted with no problems and started up just fine. This server had a 20GB VHD file. The second server i tried to migrate was a server with a a 56GB VHD. When I tried to attach the VHD in a new or existing virtual machine I'm stuck with the following problem.

Error: 'The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable'

I have attached a screen shot of the complete error.

Any ideas any one? :shock:

When you say your going from Virtual Server to Hyper-V do you mean VMWare Virtual Server or Microsoft Virtual Server 2005?

If your converting from VMWare..... sorry about the "obvious" answer here but the first thing I would try is to re-convert the disk.

If your converting from Microsoft Virtual Server, there is no conversion that needs to take place (but you probably know that).

What app. did you use to convert the .vhd files?

Guest ahbosch

Hi MrGroove

I moved from MS virtual server 2005 to Hyper V didn't use any tool to migrate, just did a straight forward copy and paste from the MS server to Hyper V, and tried to copy it from the MS server to Hyper V on the Hyper V machine. Thought that there may be some funny thing corrupting the file during copy.

Regards

Gotcha.

1st - Here's a How-To I wrote up for Migrating from MS VS 2005 R2 to Hyper-V that should be a clear step-by-step.

Other than 1st removing the Virtual Machine Additions prior to the copy to the Hyper-V Server, make sure your Hyper-V host is 100% patched and up-to-date. Follow the step-by-step above and let us know if your still having issues. Hopefully the first copy was just a 1 off issue with a file copy corruption or something.