groovyPost Forums

Contact name does not show when local dialing on Verizon Thunderbolt

Guest Joe Android

Guest Joe Android

I have noticed that when dialing a local phone number, one that is in my contact list too, that the identity does not show on the screen, only as unknown. I find it helpful to verify whom I'm calling by looking at the screen (Bad Eyes). I keep all my contacts in MS Outlook and enter the full number (area code and number) in the contact field. When I sync with the PC, contacts are added to the phone with no problem and info is correct. When dialing a known contact, if I do not enter the local area code, this is when it shows as unknown. If I dial the local area code first and then the number, the contact name shows up. Example- 555-1212= UNKNOWN, 925-555-1212= Joe Android. Normally, it is not necessary to dial your home area code first. If I edit out the local area code in the phone contact list, problem solved... until I sync with Outlook again when the area code is re-entered. Area code info is required when you are outside your local calling area, so editing the A/C out is not viable. Other phones I have had did not have this problem. Verizon and HTC have been no help. I think it's a hassle to dial the extra 3 digits when local dialing as I know this is one solution.

Guest Jessica

I never local dial on my cell phone because every single cell phone I have ever used gets free nationwide long-distance. Perhaps it was coded into the phone to only recognize numbers with the area code since that is what the automated caller ID from the wireless carrier network is programmed to transmit.

Your only solution is likely to just start using the area code.