groovyPost Forums

Windows 10 upgrade

Teekay
Go to solution Solved by holdum333,

Trying to upgrade my Win 7 laptop to Win 10 before the free expiry deadline in July but receive an error message "compressed disk" which prevents installation. Has anyone out there experienced this problem, please? Any tips, workarounds, advice, greatly appreciated.

• Solution

Hi Teekay! Sense you have not responded yet, I thought I would add this link, AskLeo about the requirements to upgrade to W10.

I hope this helps. Would also like to hear from you. We can try other things if your issue is not solved. Please be advised that not all makes and models will qualify for this free up grade. It is advised that you check with your manufacture to see if your PC will meet the requirements needed for this free up grade.

Thank you! :)

https://askleo.com/how-can-i-tell-if-my ... indows-10/

Here's some great advise. I hope you are still watching this thread!

If you really want to upgrade, or you have a reason to upgrade, there is a perfectly safe way to do it; unfortunately, not that many people seem to use it.

Take an image backup of your machine.

Upgrade or install Windows 10.

Success?

Carry on – Windows 10 works for you!

Failure?

Restore the backup image you took before you upgraded or installed.

Carry on – Windows 10’s not ready for your machine (or vice versa).

Seriously, it really is that simple. It’s one of the reasons I talk so much about backup programs and image backups specifically. An image backup is like freezing your machine in time, so you can always go back to the way it was before the upgrade.3

To be completely practical, it appears that the only way to be 100% certain that Windows 10 will, or will not, work on your machine is to try it out, and revert if it doesn’t.

An image backup is how you do it safely.