groovyPost Forums

Disable Microsoft Outlook Auto-Complete [Article Comments]

Steve Krause

Is there a way to do this via group policy or via registry hack deployable to user profile? Or via the .prf profile creation configuration file?

Thanks,

Neil.

@Niel

As I mentioned, you can configure the Outlook Auto-Complete option via Group Policy but first you need to go grab the ADM Templates. You can grab them here:

2007 Office system Administrative Template files

Once you grab them and Add the Outlook ADM file to your GPO editor you will find the setting here:

User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Microsoft Office Outlook 2007, Tools | Options, Preferences, E-mail Options, Advanced E-mail Options: When Sending a Message

FE2PSEXEC.png.5bd556992e4908fc24c984f24827eddd.png

With this in mine my recommendation would be to either 1: Educate the user and let them do it. or 2: Change the setting using a Registry Hack.

To configure this setting using a Registry Hack is simple, it can be scripted and unlike the GPO, it's granular.

Here's the RegEdit Key Settings:

Outlook 2003:

Key: HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Preferences

Outlook 2007

Key: HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\Preferences

Value name: ShowAutoSug

Value type: REG_DWORD

Value data: 1 = Enabled (default), 0 = Disabled

Enabled means AutoComplete will suggest names in the To: CC: and BCC: lines when composing an email. Disabled means it will NOT suggest names.

If you configure this setting via Group Policy or the Registry, note that the Settings will be greyed out and the user will not be able to change them from inside the Outlook Client.

Hope this helps!

gpo-autocomplete01.jpg.6ea60fbc0aebacb1a98fdd0ebb2eed51.jpg

gpo-autocomplete02.jpg.357ad4a4049cc2fd6b545f98ecdd3696.jpg