groovyPost Forums

PayPal just lost my trust...with one dumb email

Guest limerockcodger

Guest limerockcodger

10+ years as a user of their services. Entrusting my money to them. Many, many clients that I have told to trust them, and have set up to use this business. A trust that just evaporated in one email asking for my additional business for their "credit card". (Not something I need or want, but that is SO not my point of outrage.)

Now I know how to use "whois" (my clients don't!!) , and I also know to NOT trust "hinkey" domain names and especially not odd email reply to addresses (and tell my Luddite clients to do so). SO WHY did I just have to spend a half an hour to convince myself that e.paypal.com, and EVEN WORSE communications-paypal.com were LEGIT.. because of some dumb son of a bitch who was SO SHARP they could cut themselves.

ONE URL ONE DOMAIN = trust

STUPID SUBDOMAIN NAMES = Nigerian $$ scams

Guest limerockcodger

Oh, I figured it out... I am pissed, though, and righteously. It looked hinkey from the git-go, but I spent a good half hour "verifying" that the goddamned subdomains WERE real. And it made me wonder what the clients I had advised to be wary of such weird or unusual domains would do if they were confronted with the same scenario.