groovyPost Forums

Outlook 2007 Performance Issues

Guest poneil

Guest poneil

Hi groovyDude.

Thanks for your post http://www.groovypost.com/howto/microso ... nt-search/. I applied your update but I'm still having serious performance issues with outlook 2007. Specifically, when I delete an email sitting in my inbox it takes between 3-4 seconds for the email to disappear from my inbox. I'm serious. I've timed it.

I tested on another PC running Office 2003. I tested deleting an email from my inbox using the outlook 2003 client and the delete from the inbox was instantaneous!

Anyway, both me and the next IT guy next to me is stumped so any help appreciated.

Edited by poneil

Hi POneil!

I feel your pain.... and yes, I'm also still having performance issues with Outlook 2007. In the post you referred to, what I’ve found is that this fix is not a silver bullet for all the Outlook 2007 performance issues out there. It's specifically targeted at users with large .ost and .pst files using the Outlook 2007 Instant Search function.

Specifically, when I delete an email sitting in my inbox it takes between 3-4 seconds for the email to disappear from my inbox. I'm serious. I've timed it.

In my testing, I've found the 2-3 second delay is the time it takes outlook to move the file to the deleted items after the user presses delete.

Here are your options (until I can find a perm. fix).

• 1 - Permanently Delete the email using the +
Method. All you do is highlight the mail or mails you wish to delete, hold down the key and then press the key. This will bypass the Deleted items folder and permanently delete the mail item. In my testing, there is no delay when doing this.
2 - Keep the size of your mailbox as SMALL as possible. I don't know how large your mailbox is but, I found performance is much better with a mailbox UNDER 250 Megs.
3 - Wait for a better fix :)

• 3 weeks later...
Hi POneil!

Here are your options (until I can find a perm. fix).

• 1 - Permanently Delete the email using the +
Method. All you do is highlight the mail or mails you wish to delete, hold down the key and then press the key. This will bypass the Deleted items folder and permanently delete the mail item. In my testing, there is no delay when doing this.
2 - Keep the size of your mailbox as SMALL as possible. I don't know how large your mailbox is but, I found performance is much better with a mailbox UNDER 250 Megs.
3 - Wait for a better fix :)

Heya groovyDude,

So I've been using the #1 option and it's been great. The problem with that method however is my email is "gone" when I delete it. It doesn't show up in the Deleted Items. I guess that's by design.

Is there anyway to recover these mail items?

#2 "appears" to have helped but it appears that the mailbox size does not really impact the speed of deleting items in the inbox. It appears like it's all tied to the time it takes to move the item to the deleted items.... LAME

Also, just wanted to give you an FYI. For a sec. I thought perhaps it was Windows Defender but even after I disabled it using your reccomendation here: http://www.groovypost.com/howto/microso ... oft-vista/ it's still SLOW.

Soo... I'm still just doing the ctrl+del. Plz let me know if there's a way to recover those mails tho.....

Thnx!

Hi POneil!

Soo... I'm still just doing the ctrl+del. Plz let me know if there's a way to recover those mails tho.....

Thnx!

Hi PONeil,

Yes, it's a simple process to reciver emails from your inbox which you've PERM deleted. I'll write up a more detailed How-To on the main site tomorrow if I get a chance. For now however, here's a quick one. It should work for all versions of Microsoft Outlook.

Just copy the following code into a text file and rename the file runme.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\Client\Options]
"DumpsterAlwaysOn"=dword:00000001

Once you have the file, just double click on it and it shoudl execute. Close outlook and re-open.

Go to you Inbox and click Tools, Recover deleted items. All you email should be there :)

A full step-by-step can be found here as well as a .reg file you can just download and run:

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/microso ... ny-folder/

(please note, depeding on your corporate email policy (Microsoft Exchange), the length of time the email remains in the "dumpster bin" will vary.