groovyPost Forums

Cant find Saved Excel File in Outlook Temp Folder

Steve Krause
Go to solution Solved by Steve Krause,

I tried this: "Re-open the e-mail that had the original file (or any e-mail with a similar file insert - In my case it was an excel file). Once the file is open, select the Save function. When the Save dialog box opens, it opens to the same place your previous file had been saved at - you should be able to see your previous file listed. Right click on your previously saved file and it will present you the option to Open it, as well as the option to Save As. You can then save it into the directory of your choice."

The result was an OLK8 folder that had some files that were six months old plus the orignaal file from the email with today's date and time. There was no sign of the excel file I labored over a few days ago. This situation is on my home PC. I'm at work now but can't get the problem off my mind...

Hi there,

Amazingly useful information on this post that got me straight to where the Outlook temp file is on my work PC... BUT - a file I just opened up, spent two hours on with a colleague, hitting save like an idiot without putting it on my desktop, then closed... ISN'T IN THE FOLDER :-C

Do you know of any reason why this might be? Many many other temporary outlook files are in there, but this one isn't. It's a Powerpoint file if that makes a difference?

Really don't want to have to tell my colleague we have to do it all again thanks to my stupidity, so any help would be MASSIVELY appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Nic

• 1 month later...

I cannot believe how happy I am that I came across this site! I have been searching for my outlook attachment file for hours! I did not want to re-do all of my work! Thank you so much for this!

This is where I found my document. For anyone else having the problem!!

Windows 7- Outlook 7

C:\documents and settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Outlook\RHCIZQRC

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

• 2 weeks later...
I cannot believe how happy I am that I came across this site! I have been searching for my outlook attachment file for hours! I did not want to re-do all of my work! Thank you so much for this!

This is where I found my document. For anyone else having the problem!!

Windows 7- Outlook 7

C:\documents and settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Outlook\RHCIZQRC

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

awesome! I'm glad you found it!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

First let me Thank you for posting such great information. Even my IT department has no clue how to find the Outlook Temp Folder.

My problem is that I opened an attachment from my Outlook Calendar, worked on it for a whole day, saved it repeatedly, and when I closed the file....impossible to find it!

It seems that opening an attachment from an email and opening an attachment from an outlook calendar is not the same temp folder.

Can anybody help me find my file? I am using Outlook 2007 and using windows XP.

Thank you ahead of time.

George

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi,

I registered to this site just to say thanks to Tom, whose reply helped me locate my excel file. God knows how, in the first place I was even able to edit/save it. Usually email attachments are read only. So I was taking it for granted that it would be in one of my Documents folder.

When I closed the file, I searched everywhere possible to find it. You not only saved my time but also saved me the drudgery.

Thank you very much!

• 2 months later...
Hi,

I registered to this site just to say thanks to Tom, whose reply helped me locate my excel file. God knows how, in the first place I was even able to edit/save it. Usually email attachments are read only. So I was taking it for granted that it would be in one of my Documents folder.

When I closed the file, I searched everywhere possible to find it. You not only saved my time but also saved me the drudgery.

Thank you very much!

Thanks and welcome to gP. Hope to see you around!

• 2 years later...

Hi Tom,

You saved me, Thank you sooo much :-) :-) I had spent 3-4 hours on excel which was opened from outlook and saved, I was struggling to locate this file in every possible folder, searched google and read many user advice in different help forums, none worked, but finally landed here and your advice worked.

I opened C:\Users\%username%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Outlook and it was there !!!

Thanks again !!

Regards,

Satish

• 2 weeks later...