groovyPost Forums

Can't connect Virtual PC 2007 to Internet

Guest Animis

Guest bhargavimca

Hi Groove,

I am having a similar problem.

My Host machine is Windows XP Professional SP2

and I installed Virtual PC 2007 on this Host machine.

My virtual image is of Windows Server 2003 SP1.

The issue is " I am not able to ping virtual PC from my host machine or from any other machine in network".

This is my work PC. I am able to ping Gateway from Virtual PC and also has internet connection. But why am i not able to ping this Virtual PC from any other PC is network? I want to ping virtual PC as i want to build client/server interfaces using TCP/IP ports of this virtual PC.

I have Windows firewall settings set to "OFF" and also has networking Adapter1: Shared Networking(NAT)

Not sure what else to set to ping this virtual PC.

I greatly appreciate your help on this and i am sure you have an answer for this.

Guest bhargavimca

How do i do set up to Bridged Networking Groove?

I have 4 options: Local Only,Not Connected,Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet and Shared Networking(NAT).

Guest bhargavimca

Hi Groove,

I made network settings to BroadCom Netxtreme Gigabit Ethernet.

I am able to ping virtual PC from any PC in the network.

This is Cool and thanks.

Now the prob is Virtual PC is getting rebooted automatically and Event Viewer says"

Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0003FFEFB79E. The following error occurred:

The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.'

"Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 0003FF0F4A60. The IP address being used is 169.254.140.209.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

The above two warnings are few among them.

Hi Groove,

I made network settings to BroadCom Netxtreme Gigabit Ethernet.

I am able to ping virtual PC from any PC in the network.

This is Cool and thanks.

Rockin!!

Now the prob is Virtual PC is getting rebooted automatically and Event Viewer says"

Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0003FFEFB79E. The following error occurred:

The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

"Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 0003FF0F4A60. The IP address being used is 169.254.140.209.

The above two warnings are few among them.

Ok Very lame.

The first thing I would say is, Virtual PC is a really bad Virtual PC software. I would suggest using Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2. Here is the download Link as of Today - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/bb738033.aspx. It works well on Windows XP (I have it running) and it's just as easy to figure out I think...

But, that doesn't solve your problem.

First let's talk about the DHCP errors

What's odd is your able to Ping your Virtual Windows Server 2003 box however your getting DHCP errors and it's then setting your IP to the 169.254.140.209 address. That's odd because that should prevent you from being about to PING it... When your on the virtual box, can you surf the internet? Can you connect to other boxes? If yes then you really don't have a DHCP problem.

If you CANNOT get anywhere then my suggestion would be to just forget about DHCP and give the server an IP address. A server class box should not have DHCP addresses anyway.

Next is your Automatic Reboots

The DHCP errors will not cause your Virtual Windows Server 2003 machine to reboot automatically. How often does it reboot? Does it just all of a sudden BOOM reboot? Take a look in your Event Logs and look in your SYSTEM and APPLICATION. Look for the events right when the box reboots. VERY VERY odd to have a box automatically reboot.

Did the reboots start when you changed the networking from NAT address translation in the Virtual PC console for the VM?

My suggestion

• 4 weeks later...
Guest vkanth

Hi

I've got similar issue as some of the other users here with Virtual PC 2007 SP1. My host is Window XP SP3 (with the latest updates and One Care) and guest OS is exactly the same as the host. Problem is:

1. When I start the VPC, using my physical network adaptor, I get an IP address conflict on the guest only, however I'm able to browse the internet from within the guest. I do however get the constant error "IP Address Conflict ....".

2. When I change the settings on the VHD to use MS Loopback adaptor (which I've installed as per instructions on this thread) I don't get the IP conflict anymore. However I'm NOT able to browse the internet from within my guest.

It's like I can have one or the other not both! I've give the loop back adaptor a static IP and have also given a different IP within the Virtual OS (cannot give it the same as this will bring back IP address conflict). The gateway addresses are the same in all the "three" adaptors. The physical adaptor is getting the IP dynamically from my router and I have NOT reserved the IP in my router for this adaptor.

Given the above what else can I try to make Point 2 above successful? Any help would be appreciated, and can provide any info. Before anyone suggests, I would like to use Virtual PC only not virtual server and I need this server for certain projects where I do not want third party installs on my host system, thus keeping it clean.

Thanks in advance!

Guest Animis

heya vkanth,

Yeah like shocker was saying, Virtual PC is pretty crappy software. So if the loopback adapter isn't working,a nd you are 100% sure that you set it and the internet connection sharing up perfectly.. well then there aren't a whole lot of options left. One thing to remember is that the loopback adapter can mess up networks on a 192.168.0.xx range, personally I had to change mine to 192.168.1.xx

The IP conflict issue could be resolved by hooking up a separate physical network card, and assigning ONLY the Virtual GUEST to that card.

If that isn't an option you could try disabling the DHCP server on your router, and manually setting both the IP for your Host and your Guest. Or if you already had DHCP off (which is what it sounds like) try enabling it and using only dynamic addresses.

Again I'm not sure why the loopback adapter wouldn't work in your scenario, I'm running the exact same setup as you and it works great.

Guest vkanth

OK now this may sound wierd or better, silly. I've just assigned a static IP on my Network Adaptor on the host and changed the network settings in the VPC to use the adaptor directly, not using the MS Loopback. I've also assigned a static IP within the Guest OS N/W and also disabled the Loopback adaptor to be doubly sure. Now I don't get IP conflicts and can connect to Internet from the Guest OS! Now I could've tried this before going the Loopback route (?).

Thanks Animis for your response.

Cheers!

Hi vkanth

Welcome to the site!

It looks you've solved the problem! Yes you are correct and manually assigning the IP was a great route to go. The loopback adapter solution isn't the only way to get the network to cooperate, but it is a sure last-ditch resort. Wireless cards in particular have seen extreme compatibility issues with Virtual PC as well as Virtual Server. I've noticed actually with all wired connections that using the loopback adapter was not necessary, and with Windows Vista it sometimes wasn't necessary. Again though, like shocker and animis said Virtual PC is still quite behind in terms of some of the other options available.

I've been doing some testing with Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7, and I can tell you that I'm very impressed by the new virtualization tech that msoft is releasing. If you continue to use Virtualization you may way to invest in some Hyper-V compatible hardware and look at some of the better software out there.

Thanks for the question!

• 1 month later...
Guest Imhotep

Hey guys!

vkanth

( OK now this may sound wierd or better, silly. I've just assigned a static IP on my Network Adaptor on the host and changed the network settings in the VPC to use the adaptor directly, not using the MS Loopback. I've also assigned a static IP within the Guest OS N/W and also disabled the Loopback adaptor to be doubly sure. Now I don't get IP conflicts and can connect to Internet from the Guest OS! Now I could've tried this before going the Loopback route )

Can you explain to me step by step how did you do all this ? It would be much appreciated :)

Thanx in advance!

• 1 year later...
Guest BambangPriantoro

hi there,

maybe this already have answer by others guys.but really, i already got it right and i have search on internet but still have no idea's and clue why it doesn't work in my environment.i want to connect internet with my usb modem through my virtual PC

i have a host pc with win 7 professional installed on it, and Windows server 2003R2 on my virtual PC 2007.

i set my connection with my Virtual PC with Shared networking (NAT) for adapter 1 and microsoft lookback adapater on adapter 2.

on my host pc i set my Local Area Connection (Lookback adapter) ip : 192.168.137.1;255.255.255.0;default gateway:182.3.9.1 (this is my ip from my usb modem, when i connect it to internet).dns:192.168.131.254 and 2nd dns : 127.0.0.1

and on my virtual pc i set my Local area connection : ip:192.168.137.4;255.255.255.0;default gateway:192.168.137.1;dns:192.168.131.254;2nd dns:127.0.0.1

when i tested it with ping it from my GUEST (Virtual PC) its work fine, i got reply from my HOST.and when i run it and \\192.168.137.1 from my run command, i can see and explore my host windows from my guest on virtual pc, and when i ping it from my host, i have the same thing.not only that, i can remotely from my host to my guest.

but when i open and try'n to access internet from my guest virtual pc, is always failed.on my IE have message "cannot display this page ... ", i already set my firewall to off and turn on my remote on my guest.but useless it can browse to internet.

on my network & sharing setting (on my host),looks like this :

MY PC (HOST) ----> undefine network (public network) -----> internet (usb modem)

and my access desc. are internet (both).

please some one could teach me and help me to solved this.

thank you.

regards,

Bambang