groovyPost Forums

Outlook 2010 Crashes when reading or opening some emails

Steve Krause

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest XavStarBlues

Outlook crashes for every mail with a picture (all of them, since people use jpg/gif in their signature) when connected to exchange.

All emails opens fine and outlook dont crash when disconnected from exchange.

There must be something wrong with the AD attributes then. You should create a test user, set them up like everyone else then send your main account an email.

If it crashes (like it probably will) you should go into the AD Attributes and look through them 1 at a time deleting them as you find them until you find the one it is. I think Mrgroove listed the ones that normally have the images in them but there might be another one that your company is using. Perhaps a custom one.

Keep looking :)

Vadim is on the right track here. That really is the very next step. Because the client is stable when they are NOT connected to exchange, there must be an attribute inside AD which is busting Outlook when it opens the email and tries to pull data on the sender.

This really is a BUG with outlook. They should have better error handling but obviously they don't.... You also might want to open a SA call with Microsoft. They might have a hotfix for ya. If they do, please share it here with us :) :)

Guest XavStarBlues

Sure MrGroove,

I am currently busy with other customer, my boss is more likely to drop the subject and wait for our planified update of their Exchange in a few months, for the time being we are putting back user to Outlook 2007 :/

I'll try to check MS but considering their reactivity...

Will keep you up to date

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Fox Mulder

Hi!

Thanks McGroove! You put me on the right path! I have been playing with the photo upload possibility which is available in Outlook 2010 Global Address List. So I uploaded a photo, then I wanted to get it off, but since there is no way to delete it, I have uploaded some file, a txt I think, with jpeg extension which crashed Outlook 2010 when switching in between emails or folders. Outlook was OK offline, but as soon as I went online, it crashe. Anyway, I have uploaded a valid picture file now and everything is perfect.

Thanks again!!! :D

Hi!

Thanks McGroove! You put me on the right path! I have been playing with the photo upload possibility which is available in Outlook 2010 Global Address List. So I uploaded a photo, then I wanted to get it off, but since there is no way to delete it, I have uploaded some file, a txt I think, with jpeg extension which crashed Outlook 2010 when switching in between emails or folders. Outlook was OK offline, but as soon as I went online, it crashe. Anyway, I have uploaded a valid picture file now and everything is perfect.

Thanks again!!! :D

No problem. Glad your back up and running!

Question - how did you upload a file? Were you doing this inside Outlook adding a photo to contacts or were you doing this in AD?

Guest Fox Mulder

The company I work for has an intranet page where I can upload and image under the "My Image" tab (see attachment). Probably the site is hooked up to AD. After the upload, the picture is visible almost instantly. :D

myprofile.JPG.e8aca1adfb13832b9633ade2160cfda0.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DoctorWu

I've been having this same problem for months. Even after I was issued a new laptop, the problem returned within a day. I saw the post above about disabling certain add-ins so I went and checked my add-ins. I didn't have the ones noted above but I did have an addin for a program called "Able2Extract" which is a program I use that converts PDF files to office documents. Disabling that add-in solved my problem. I'm going to email them and let them know it causes a problem.

The company I work for has an intranet page where I can upload and image under the "My Image" tab (see attachment). Probably the site is hooked up to AD. After the upload, the picture is visible almost instantly. :D

Ahhh yes.. and it looks like a sharepoint site so yeah, they must have hooked it into their AD directory.

Well very cool, glad your back up and running. Microsoft really needs to fix the error handling in Outlook 2010 on this one....

I've been having this same problem for months. Even after I was issued a new laptop, the problem returned within a day. I saw the post above about disabling certain add-ins so I went and checked my add-ins. I didn't have the ones noted above but I did have an addin for a program called "Able2Extract" which is a program I use that converts PDF files to office documents. Disabling that add-in solved my problem. I'm going to email them and let them know it causes a problem.

Good to know DoctorWu - Thanks for sharing your solution here in the forum. Welcome to groovyPost!

Guest mefm247

I've spent a lot of time trying to solve this, deleting fonts as recommended by a lot of other post, etc... Don't delete any of your fonts (potentially hide all the Type 1 fonts). But more importantly just delete the following folder key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes

Haven't had any more crashes since.

Kind regards

I've spent a lot of time trying to solve this, deleting fonts as recommended by a lot of other post, etc... Don't delete any of your fonts (potentially hide all the Type 1 fonts). But more importantly just delete the following folder key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes

Haven't had any more crashes since.

Kind regards

Good info. thnx!

Hello all... new to the board.

Have been putting this off and now I know why... IT person here at work and we have been using Outlook 2000 (from the MS Office 2000 package) since 1999 or so.

I tried my best to read up on Outlook 2010 before loading it, purchased a big book about it, googled it... finally loaded it on just my system to really "check it out". Seemed fine - initially. Loaded it on my boss' system and that is when problems started... started noticing that it (the program itself) would crash/reboot when trying to open or view an email that either had an attachment or hyperlink. Still have not figured out the solution to that problem.

Also, we rely heavily on interoffice email via the MS Postoffice and it seemed to carry over on my system but not having any luck getting it to kick on the boss' system. So that is another solution I seek.

Add to that the Adobe PDF program that we used to be able to just click on the mail icon and it would link up to Outlook for sending -- not working. And a couple other (minor) issues like this...

Brief LAN history: about (12) systems on LAN using a CPU with Win98 to serve as the "postoffice". All systems are WinXP (either home or pro at least SR2 - some SR3). Basic peer-to-peer setup and has been working well for us.

Anyone with some good input would be welcome relief... thanks

bg

• 1 month later...

I had the issue of some emails crashing Outlook 2010 and eventually identified helvetica as the issue. Emails sent to me with Helvetica in them instantly crashed. I initally created an email with helvetica in it at the start of the day and then closed it and I was then able to view them. I then uninstalled Helvetica to stop the issue. I have heard there are other fonts that clash with Outlook 2010 as well:

:shock: 1. Helvetica 2. Times 3. Fago

This problem has been ongoing for over 6 months with no fix and I like using Helvetica, so my long term solution has been swapping to Google Apps :D

Guest FtWorthRider

I experienced these same symptoms, however I think I have a solution:

I went into the FILE >> OPTIONS >> ADD-Ins page and selected Manage: COM Add-ins >> GO

It was here that I found a couple of add ins that were from my IPHONE application. OneNote and other Itunes apps. I removed anything that didn't look like it was an OFFICE14 or OUTLOOK location and then clicked OK. I restarted my OUTLOOK and the problem was solved.

I now have a working OUTLOOK client. Hope this helps some of you, as well.

FtWorthRider - Harleys RULE

p.s. I am running Outlook 2010 on a Dell laptop running Windows 7 (if that helps)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest paulscg

I just installed Outlook 2010 (upgraded from Outlook 2007) and we use Exchange 2008. i have 3 laptops with this configuration and on one laptop Outlook 2010 crashes on the 2nd email I open every time. The first email opens fine (makes no difference if there are attachments or not), but on the second email - I get a clock for about 5 seconds and then outlook crashes and says it had an error (unspecified) and then restarts. This happens whether i am connected to my exchange server or not so I'm not sure the AD suggestion applies. It is very consistent - always crashes when trying to open the 2nd email I click on.

Any suggestions?

Guest paulscg

I just solved my own problem after reading through all of the posts. My issue was related to an Add-In for PDF Converter 6.0. When I removed this Add-In for Outlook 2010, the crashes stopped. Looks like there are quite a few software programs that are not compatible yet with Outlook 2010.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hello all... new to the board.

Welcome!

(the program itself) would crash/reboot when trying to open or view an email that either had an attachment or hyperlink. Still have not figured out the solution to that problem.

Oh my... That sucks. Are you still having the issues?

Also, we rely heavily on interoffice email via the MS Postoffice and it seemed to carry over on my system but not having any luck getting it to kick on the boss' system. So that is another solution I seek.

I've been an IT guy for a long time - What exactly is the MS Postoffice? Your not using Exchange?

Add to that the Adobe PDF program that we used to be able to just click on the mail icon and it would link up to Outlook for sending -- not working. And a couple other (minor) issues like this...

If your using Outlook 2010 and you install Adobe PDF reader, you should be able to just Click the attachment (.pdf) and it should come up in the Outlook preview window. Does this not work for you?

I had the issue of some emails crashing Outlook 2010 and eventually identified helvetica as the issue. Emails sent to me with Helvetica in them instantly crashed. I initally created an email with helvetica in it at the start of the day and then closed it and I was then able to view them. I then uninstalled Helvetica to stop the issue. I have heard there are other fonts that clash with Outlook 2010 as well:

:shock: 1. Helvetica 2. Times 3. Fago

This problem has been ongoing for over 6 months with no fix and I like using Helvetica, so my long term solution has been swapping to Google Apps :D

Hey you know what, Microsoft needs to be aware that if they release crap that won't work, they risk losing people to the competition. Looks like that is true in your case. :)

I experienced these same symptoms, however I think I have a solution:

I went into the FILE >> OPTIONS >> ADD-Ins page and selected Manage: COM Add-ins >> GO

It was here that I found a couple of add ins that were from my IPHONE application. OneNote and other Itunes apps. I removed anything that didn't look like it was an OFFICE14 or OUTLOOK location and then clicked OK. I restarted my OUTLOOK and the problem was solved.

I now have a working OUTLOOK client. Hope this helps some of you, as well.

FtWorthRider - Harleys RULE

p.s. I am running Outlook 2010 on a Dell laptop running Windows 7 (if that helps)

Thanks for the info FtWorthRider. And yes, Harleys do rule ;)