groovyPost Forums

Outlook 2010 Crashes when reading or opening some emails

Steve Krause

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just some...no real link between the ones I am having problems with that I can determine.

That's really odd..... Here's a few questions:

1 - Is it the same emails every time that crash you or can you open them sometimes but not all the time?

2 - Are any of your co-workers having the same issues?

3 - Are the emails your opening special in anyway? Attachments? HTML inside of them or???

4 - What version of Office 2010 you using? The beta or the final release code?

Few things to try. First, configure Outlook to open all emails in plain text. This way you will know if it's something funky in the email that's crashing you. Second, try to sit down at another computer running Office 2010 (similar setup) and see if you have the same issues.

Guest red24698

1. Same email everytime

2. Not that I am aware of

3. Probably have html in them as some are newsletters

4. Final release

If I open all emails as plain text they open fine, so its got to be something with how its opening them but I have not changed any settings on that, everything is still default.

1. Same email everytime

2. Not that I am aware of

3. Probably have html in them as some are newsletters

4. Final release

If I open all emails as plain text they open fine, so its got to be something with how its opening them but I have not changed any settings on that, everything is still default.

Sorry for the late reply.

Ok, so if it's not happening to anyone else then that rules out the issue with Active Directory as was my problem. The means that it's something to do with the email itself. Since it opens fine when you open as plain text then yeah, the HTML is causing your outlook to crash. No good answer there since it must be a bug with Outlook 2010. Did you try logging into another computer and try opening up the email? Same issue? If other people can open the email and NOT crash then I say it's the Outlook 2010 install on your box. If you can open the email fine on another machine then that also rules out anything to do with you personally.

Could be an issue with the INSTALL of Outlook 2010 OR your profile. You could blow away outlook and re-install or blow away your outlook profile. It all depends on the tests above.

Keep us updated!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BuildingBlocks

I'm having exactly the same issues, but think I know why it's happening (there is a pattern)...

My Outlook 2010 always crashes when I receive emails sent from Mac Mail where the author has profile avatar specified. I believe that for some reason Outlook 2010 doesn't understand the avatar attachment when opening the message so crashes. So when opening as plain text it works, as the avatar isn't in the plain text version so opens ok.

I'm just not sure how it can be resolved? Any ideas?

Guest trevorforever

I found the answer to this problem elsewhere and am posting it here in case it helps somebody. This is for Outlook 2010 beta on Windows 7. If you check your Fonts via Control Panel look for the Helvetica font and if it is displaying something like $%& instead of ABC (as all the other fonts show) delete it as it is corrupt. If you must have Helvetica loaded look for a version that displays properly in your Fonts folder. There are many font foundaries that offer Helvetica, such as True Type, Adobe etc. If you load a new version of Helvetica and and your emails start crashing again you know where to look for the culprit. :mrgreen:

I found the answer to this problem elsewhere and am posting it here in case it helps somebody. This is for Outlook 2010 beta on Windows 7. If you check your Fonts via Control Panel look for the Helvetica font and if it is displaying something like $%& instead of ABC (as all the other fonts show) delete it as it is corrupt. If you must have Helvetica loaded look for a version that displays properly in your Fonts folder. There are many font foundaries that offer Helvetica, such as True Type, Adobe etc. If you load a new version of Helvetica and and your emails start crashing again you know where to look for the culprit. :mrgreen:

That is awesome! I'll bet that was the issue above as well from Building Blocks issue:

I'm having exactly the same issues, but think I know why it's happening (there is a pattern)...

My Outlook 2010 always crashes when I receive emails sent from Mac Mail where the author has profile avatar specified. I believe that for some reason Outlook 2010 doesn't understand the avatar attachment when opening the message so crashes. So when opening as plain text it works, as the avatar isn't in the plain text version so opens ok.

I'm just not sure how it can be resolved? Any ideas?

I never had the issue BUT, I know a few peeps who did have the issue of outlook 2010 crashing on them. Thnx for the re-post of the solution here!

Guest Lorensio

I have been battling this issue since the first 2010 Beta came out. I finally uninstalled 2010, switched to 2007, and no problems. Now that the full release version of 2010 Office came out, I installed it, and viola!, the same issue came back. I literally tried hundreds of fixes, but this one fixed it for me. I unistalled all of my Helvetica fonts and the problem went away for the very first time. I installed them back one at a time and the problem font (at least for me) was Helvetica Bold. Hope this helps someone!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DC Web Designers

After re-building our network from the ground up two weeks ago, I ran into the same problem on several of the machines on our internal domain. After deleting the Helvetica font set on the newly re-formatted machines, the problem was gone.

DC Web Designers

Edited by DC Web Designers

• 2 weeks later...
Guest illuminatus

Hi all,

Newbie here, but I thought you might apperciate what caused my Outlook 2010 crashes ...

It was the following "Add-Ins"

• PDF Converter 6.0 Outlook Add-in

• SPAMfighter*

*Latest version of SPAMfighter OK, so have dis-abled PDF Converter for the time being ...

-

• 2 months later...
Guest cjasper

I'm having the same problem - Outlook 2010 with Windows 7 crashes when I open some email messages - several times a day. When I ask the sender to resend without a signature, it seems to work (doesn't crash Outlook - can read the message). But I can't seem to find any similarities among the senders, and not all messages with signatures crash Outlook. Ugh... What a mess!

This computer is not connected to an Exchange server. It's on my home network, and there are no other computers on the network. I think AD is for servers with multiple users, right? So I don't have any AD settings to edit. I do have admin access on my computer, so if there's a way for me to edit my AD settings, please let me know how.

If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it.

cj

I'm having the same problem - Outlook 2010 with Windows 7 crashes when I open some email messages - several times a day. When I ask the sender to resend without a signature, it seems to work (doesn't crash Outlook - can read the message). But I can't seem to find any similarities among the senders, and not all messages with signatures crash Outlook. Ugh... What a mess!

This computer is not connected to an Exchange server. It's on my home network, and there are no other computers on the network. I think AD is for servers with multiple users, right? So I don't have any AD settings to edit. I do have admin access on my computer, so if there's a way for me to edit my AD settings, please let me know how.

If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it.

cj

Hi CJ and welcome to the forums!

Yes, AD and Exchange is for big corporate networks. For your home user case, it could be what some people are finding above IE: Fonts are having issues.

I find that very ODD however you might do a test message and have a signature sent to you with a different font type and see if that nukes you.

Guest cjasper

Deleting the corrupted Helvetica font fixed the problem for me! Thanks so much to all who replied and contributed to this thread. What I'd like to know is how you guys came up with that solution. I would never have thought of fonts as being the culprit. Nice work!

cj

Guest Chris7948

I don't think this problem had only one culprit.

I am having the problem and it makes no difference what Email I am viewing.

Running XP 2002 SP3 & Outlook 2010 (14.0.4760.1000 32-bit) on a solo machine at home.

It happens whenever I switch from the mail view with the reading pane enabled to a calendar view.

I checked the fonts as some did here but all my fonts appear okay. The default font for display is Segoe UI - checked it. Looked at a few specific Emails for different fonts and they all appear okay.

The only way to stop it is to shut down the reading pane or reboot the computer and hope it does not return very soon.

Has anyone seen any new fixes for this? It sounds MS-specific since it occurs when trying to use the calendar.

It happens whenever I switch from the mail view with the reading pane enabled to a calendar view.

So this is different from what was originally happening to me. For me it was opening up specific emails or viewing those emails in a reading pane. So yes, sounds like another solid BUG on the microsoft side that they need to fix.

Not a fix but, have you tried a reinstall?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest XavStarBlues

Hello There

I was fortunate enough to read this topic, however, it seems i shall need a bit more help.

Here's the plot:

AD 2008/exchange 2003/office 2010/win7 > Outlook Crashes when opening a mail.

The bug seems to be related to the AD attributes, because it crashes when connected to exchange and do not crashes when not connected, wich from what i read above was linked to the attributes stuff.

However, I can't find the Attribute Editor Tab ( see pic in microsoft-office/outlook-2010-crashes-when-reading-or-opening-some-emails-t95911.html#p97414 )

I have been looking in the AD from the exchange server and the one from the Domain Controller.

So i am wondering if there is some similar tool as the ADSIedit from 2003 AdminPack to use for 2008 AD?

Or any help to lead me to this "Attribute Editor Tab"

Thanks in advance

Xavier

PS: I am French, so i apologises if i made some mistakes and also if the answer have been posted before but i was unable to find it.

However, I can't find the Attribute Editor Tab ( see pic in microsoft-office/outlook-2010-crashes-when-reading-or-opening-some-emails-t95911.html#p97414 )

I have been looking in the AD from the exchange server and the one from the Domain Controller.

So i am wondering if there is some similar tool as the ADSIedit from 2003 AdminPack to use for 2008 AD?

Or any help to lead me to this "Attribute Editor Tab"

Hi Xavier and welcome to the site!

To view the Attribute Editor Tab in the Active Directory Users and Computers tool, you need to:

Click Views -> Advanced Features.

Once you do this, open up the User Account / Object and you should see all the new tabs including the Attribute Editor.

Enjoy!

Guest XavStarBlues

Hey there,

I have found the "Attribute tab"

However i do not have anything for the 3 attributes

* Photo

* jpgPhoto

* thumbnailPhoto

The fields is "undefined" or whatever it is in english (mine is in french)

When you were talking about "clearing the bad data" were you talking putting back to "undefined"?

if not, wich defaut value did you put in those fields?

I have searched the entire tab for other possibles related attributes but i am new to this stuff so i didnt find any related attribute, if you know other ones i'll be interested.

PS: i forgot to check what kind of data (hexa/binary, etc) was put for the attributes or if there was any at all.

Hey there,

I have found the "Attribute tab"

However i do not have anything for the 3 attributes

* Photo

* jpgPhoto

* thumbnailPhoto

The fields is "undefined" or whatever it is in english (mine is in french)

When you were talking about "clearing the bad data" were you talking putting back to "undefined"?

if not, wich defaut value did you put in those fields?

I have searched the entire tab for other possibles related attributes but i am new to this stuff so i didnt find any related attribute, if you know other ones i'll be interested.

PS: i forgot to check what kind of data (hexa/binary, etc) was put for the attributes or if there was any at all.

Hmm... no I meant delete anything that was in the fields. Not sure if that makes it undefined or not. Just delete it all, in AD, reboot the client desktop and then open Outlook and test it.

Let me know

Guest XavStarBlues

Hello

So that means "undefined" for me, i guess you will agree by seing the pic below

Here's what it looks like to me for all 3 attributes.

http://cjoint.com/data/0kwkdmzxsrV.htm

So in my case, it is either a completely different problem with same results, or another attribute that is involved.

I have already checked the "helvetica" font problem, and i dont have them installed.

I'll check on my side the other attributes and let you know