groovyPost Forums

Outlook 2010 Crashes when reading or opening some emails

Steve Krause

I just solved my own problem after reading through all of the posts. My issue was related to an Add-In for PDF Converter 6.0. When I removed this Add-In for Outlook 2010, the crashes stopped. Looks like there are quite a few software programs that are not compatible yet with Outlook 2010.

Thanks for the tip Paul - I'll tell ya what. Looking at all the crashing issues of Outlook 2010, Microsoft needs to be a much better job of Failing OPEN rather than Failing closed and hard crashing. What the hell.... They need some better error logging and graceful error handling.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest swagner

I was having a problem with certain emails crashing Outlook 2010 64 bit Win 7. It seemed the only consistent items between the emails were embedded images. After disabling all the add-ins and a few other things, a thread was found that pointed to the font "Helvetica" as the cause. Aparently Outlook and Helvetica don't agree. SO, after uninstalling the font, everything seems good, the emails that previously caused outlook to crash, open fine. Now it's time to find a version of helvetica that doesn't crash Outlook. I hope this helps! Good luck!

I was having a problem with certain emails crashing Outlook 2010 64 bit Win 7. It seemed the only consistent items between the emails were embedded images. After disabling all the add-ins and a few other things, a thread was found that pointed to the font "Helvetica" as the cause. Aparently Outlook and Helvetica don't agree. SO, after uninstalling the font, everything seems good, the emails that previously caused outlook to crash, open fine. Now it's time to find a version of helvetica that doesn't crash Outlook. I hope this helps! Good luck!

All very good info Swagner! Thanks for sharing. Group knowledge!

Also, looks like this was your first post here in the forum so WELCOME! I hope to see you around more!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest vivian

have been using Outlook 2010 Beta on my Office Exchange Server and have never noticed this. I can only assume it might have something to do with Outlook 2010 trying to connect to an old Exchange server?

• 1 month later...
Guest garne2t

I had the same problem where 2 specific emails I had saved in a folder crashed Outlook 2010 every time I tried to open them. I just spent 2 hours on the phone with Microsoft support (in India of course) tonight. After getting through the first two levels of support where they tried to tell me that it's OK if it's only those 2 emails, I got to someone who was actually helpful and isolated the problem. We were able to copy the two emails (without opening them) to a new PST file, copy that PST file to the support rep's computer, and duplicate the problem on his computer. So, it had nothing to do with the setup on my computer.

Workaround for problem emails:

We were then able to view the contents of the emails by exporting the email folder in the problem .pst file (containing the 2 problem emails) to a .csv file. Then opened the .csv file in Excel, selected each cell containing the email content (text only, of course), and copying that text into a Word file. Since I had two emails, each email showed up in one row and I did this once for each email. The second column in the spreadsheet had the body of the email in it. Note that there were viewing issues in Excel because the cell had over 4000 characters in it. So that's why we selected each cell and copied to Word. I deleted the problem 2 emails from my main .pst file and the problem went away.

I gave Microsoft permission to keep the problem .pst file so hopefully that will help fix the problem long term for others here.

One more thing, I tried scanpst.exe and "ormost" (a third party repair utility ran by Microsoft support rep), and neither solved the problem.

I have:

Windows 7 64-bit

Outlook 2010 - no exchange server

I had the same problem where 2 specific emails I had saved in a folder crashed Outlook 2010 every time I tried to open them. I just spent 2 hours on the phone with Microsoft support (in India of course) tonight. After getting through the first two levels of support where they tried to tell me that it's OK if it's only those 2 emails, I got to someone who was actually helpful and isolated the problem. We were able to copy the two emails (without opening them) to a new PST file, copy that PST file to the support rep's computer, and duplicate the problem on his computer. So, it had nothing to do with the setup on my computer.

Workaround for problem emails:

We were then able to view the contents of the emails by exporting the email folder in the problem .pst file (containing the 2 problem emails) to a .csv file. Then opened the .csv file in Excel, selected each cell containing the email content (text only, of course), and copying that text into a Word file. Since I had two emails, each email showed up in one row and I did this once for each email. The second column in the spreadsheet had the body of the email in it. Note that there were viewing issues in Excel because the cell had over 4000 characters in it. So that's why we selected each cell and copied to Word. I deleted the problem 2 emails from my main .pst file and the problem went away.

I gave Microsoft permission to keep the problem .pst file so hopefully that will help fix the problem long term for others here.

One more thing, I tried scanpst.exe and "ormost" (a third party repair utility ran by Microsoft support rep), and neither solved the problem.

I have:

Windows 7 64-bit

Outlook 2010 - no exchange server

Great information - thanks for sharing all the details and grear work-around.

Did Microsoft have any guess what was corrupt with the emails that was causing Outlook to crash?

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I was having this problem on my computer as well. When opening the message, the Outlook suddenly crashed without a warning. This affected my Word also, when opening certain documents the program crashed.

The sollution: installed service pack 1 to my Office 2010. Everything is working ok now. Though I tried the Windows update, I still needed to download & install SP1 separately.

My setup: Win 7, Outlook 2010, Office pack 2010

support.microsoft.com/kb/2460049

Hi,

I was having this problem on my computer as well. When opening the message, the Outlook suddenly crashed without a warning. This affected my Word also, when opening certain documents the program crashed.

The sollution: installed service pack 1 to my Office 2010. Everything is working ok now. Though I tried the Windows update, I still needed to download & install SP1 separately.

My setup: Win 7, Outlook 2010, Office pack 2010

support.microsoft.com/kb/2460049

That's a really great reminder. Hopefully everyone at this point has downloaded and upgraded to Office 2010 SP1 by this point. That upgrade is full of updates and fixes for a lot of this stuff.