groovyPost Forums

Outlook 2010 Crashes when reading or opening some emails

Steve Krause

Really getting annoyed with Outlook 2010 today. What was happening every 100 emails or so is now happening a few times an hour.

Problem

Basically, with the Reader Pane enabled (Right side or bottom), certain emails I click on to read will Crash Outlook 2010. If you disable the reading pane Outlook will crash once you double click the mail to read it.

I've been trying to figure out what is the common link between the "email bombs" however so far I'm coming up empty. One thing I have noticed however is that emails from one specific user who is running Snow Leopard and Mac Mail will crash my Outlook client 100% of the time. All emails from him take me down. Other users however with the same config doesn't affect my client.

So I'm still searching for the common link...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Joseph
Really getting annoyed with Outlook 2010 today. What was happening every 100 emails or so is now happening a few times an hour.

Problem

Basically, with the Reader Pane enabled (Right side or bottom), certain emails I click on to read will Crash Outlook 2010. If you disable the reading pane Outlook will crash once you double click the mail to read it.

Yup same issue. I thought the MAC connection might have been the answer cause we have a few MAC's in the office. I had the guy send me emails in plain text, rich text and HTML and all 3 mails crash me.

I then started crashing from another co-worker. She's running office 2007 sp2 w/windows 7. Cant open any of her emails either.

GOING CRAZY!!

Guest Joseph
I was having the same issues before I nuked it. I won't run it again until a service pack or RC code is realeased. I must have had 50% of my emails crash my outlook client.

cant work like that :)

blah blah blah!! and you call yourself a geek!!!!

Ok... So I'm not sure if this is progress or not ;) but...

I've discovered that if my laptop is not connected to the network (Outlook 2010 is not connected to exchange) emails which normally crash outlook when being viewed in the preview pane or fully opened is no longer crashing my Outlook 2010 client.

If I leave an email open and then connect my machine back to the network, once outlook connects to exchange Outlook immediatly crashes.

• 3 weeks later...

Well that's crazy. Have you reported it to Microsoft?

I have been using Outlook 2010 Beta on my Office Exchange Server and have never noticed this. I can only assume it might have something to do with Outlook 2010 trying to connect to an old Exchange server?

Heya...

Yeah I've reported the issue both directly to Microsoft as well as in their forum where other people are also having issues.

Doesn't look like there's a solution yet.

Latest update - there's about 15 people at work who can crash my outlook client when I try to open their email (or just click on the email with preview enabled). In regards to infrastructure, they are all running Outlook 2007 SP2 (a few people are running MAC Mail w/Snow Leopard) and were all using Exchange 2007 SP2 on the backend for exchange...

Fun :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Ok... So I'm not sure if this is progress or not ;) but...

I've discovered that if my laptop is not connected to the network (Outlook 2010 is not connected to exchange) emails which normally crash outlook when being viewed in the preview pane or fully opened is no longer crashing my Outlook 2010 client.

If I leave an email open and then connect my machine back to the network, once outlook connects to exchange Outlook immediatly crashes.

I'm having the same issues. I tried to disconnect myself from the Network and your right, emails that were crashing me are now working perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...
An AD attribute? Does that have to do with attributes assigned to a particular file?

No, these are Active Directory Attributes assigned to User Objects.

Go into Active Directory Users and Computers (Need to have rights inside a Windows Active Directory Domain), find the user account, Click Properties then Click the Attribute Editor Tab. Here's a screenshot.

AD-Attributes.jpg.dd2c10fa762004af1d4ca26694bf9a9a.jpg

I've been doing some experimenting at work and I think I might have a resolution. Stay tuned. Just need to confirm a few things.

Essentially, looks like this is an AD attribute that doesn't have the right data. More soon.

Ok - So the issue with the user objects on my network was we had bad data in the following AD attributes:

* Photo

* jpgPhoto

* thumbnailPhoto

Once the invalid data was cleared from these 3 attributes, email from these users no longer crashed outlook 2010.

Hope this helps everyone ;) Note - you won't be able to make these changes unless you are an Administrator in AD for these user objects.

Some info on Saving Photos in AD on user objects:

http://www.chineseinnorthamerica.com/te ... mages.html

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 85%29.aspx

• 1 month later...
Guest SpellJammer

In my case this problem was attributed to Mcrappy (Mcafee Virusscan 8.7 patch 2) on windows 7. Try uninstalling Mcrappy to see if it resolves your problem. I think it might have something to do with the Mcrappy exclusions.

Guest red24698

I would like to try the fix above but I am running server and exchange 2003...any advice? I can open some email but some immediately freeze up outlook while my co-workers can open the same email with no problem.

I would like to try the fix above but I am running server and exchange 2003...any advice? I can open some email but some immediately freeze up outlook while my co-workers can open the same email with no problem.

Hmm.... the fix to the issue I outlined above should be impacting EVERYONE who is using Outlook 2010 so you must be having a different issue.

What exactly is your problem? Specify the error messages, screenshot if you can AND, the Outlook version.

Guest red24698

I'm not really getting error messags...I will click to open an email and outlook will just sit there a second and then kind of fade out and then the Win 7 box pops up for me to close and restart the program. Its a new install of outlook 2010, I tried 32 and 64 bit versions

I'm not really getting error messags...I will click to open an email and outlook will just sit there a second and then kind of fade out and then the Win 7 box pops up for me to close and restart the program. Its a new install of outlook 2010, I tried 32 and 64 bit versions

Do all emails crash your client or just some?