jamminjelly

Computer stopped detecting external USB hard drive

I have an older, but not too old Western Digital 1TB External drive: USB 3.0

It stopped working following a Windows Update. I'm running Windows 8.

The drive still works on my Mac and it still works on my laptop so I'm not sure what's going wrong with the Windows 8 desktop.

I take it you have rebooted, unplugged the drive an all the simple things. Check in disk management to see if it's listed. If so make sure it has a drive letter. If not then give it one. I had this problem awhile ago. Windows 8 is a little quirky sometimes. If this doesn't work then come back on it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Ziggy
      Is it possible to connect two computers to one external USB hard drive? If so, how? And, would there be a need for a special adapter?
    • By Rufio
      I reformatted the laptop after installing a new hard drive in my Sony Vaio and now it isn't letting me use the brightness function keys anymore. The function volume keys still work, it's just the brightness ones that aren't going very well. Is there a software requirement or something I'm missing?
    • By Steve
      I'm in the market for a good WIFI router/switch/repeater. Looking for something with at least 5 1Gig ports and the ability to repeat/extend the signal to another Access Point which is up stairs so i don't need to run wired Ethernet to the other side of the house.
      Looking online, This Western Digital N900 looks nice however it doesn't appear to have the repeater functionality.
      Anyone buy anything recently which is working out well? Or got a tip on something out there?
      Thnx
    • By kwsweet
      I have Windows 8.1. when I try to login to my Microsoft account I get a message that another user is already logged in with that account. I can't figure out what to do. I am the administrator, only user.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online