groovyPost Forums

Chrome Processes

Go to solution Solved by Austin,

Lately, my pc is using a lot of resources and when i checked task manager, there were like 10-15 processes of chrome running. I checked and i had like 3-4 tabs opened. Why is this so?

I have no idea why this happens, but you're not the only one - whenever I use chrome I have multiple processes in my task manager as well... Maybe it has something to do with Chrome trying to improve performance?

• Solution

Chrome runs in its own virtualized-sandboxed environment. Because of this each tab, or sometimes set of tabs on the same website, are open in their own process.

This is good for a few reasons. The first one is stability. If a particular tab crashes it won't bring down your entire browser. Secondly, for security. If a plugin on an individual page tries to do something malicious Chrome can block it without interfering with the rest of your browsing experience.

Chrome runs in its own virtualized-sandboxed environment. Because of this each tab, or sometimes set of tabs on the same website, are open in their own process.

This is good for a few reasons. The first one is stability. If a particular tab crashes it won't bring down your entire browser. Secondly, for security. If a plugin on an individual page tries to do something malicious Chrome can block it without interfering with the rest of your browsing experience.

Thank you dexter. I think you are right.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Guest Jacques Cubbie
      By Guest Jacques Cubbie
      I like launching Google Docs as a pinned application, like you showed us how to do in this tutorial:
      http://www.groovypost.com/howto/how-to/pin-websites-chrome/
      But I want it to show my starred docs first, not just my HOME folder. There's no settings in Google Docs for that, is there? I looked but can't find one.
    • By Jack
      Hi, I know I could probably google this answer but I'm lazy.
      So, I've got a Google Chrome web page pinned to my task bar, and when you launch it, it clears out all the "junk." But then I zoomed out using CTRL mouse wheel and I can't figure out what is 100% zoom (i.e. default). Anyway to temporarily show the settings menu in a pinned Chrome app?
      http://www.groovypost.com/howto/how-to/pin-websites-chrome/
    • By Rufio
      I just installed the Skype desktop application and it installed a Chrome extension without even asking me if it could. That really ticks me off.
      Is there anyway to block unscrupulous programs from installing plugins/extensions into your browser?
    • By mamacita
      I haven't ever had to use any type of Google forum. Just trying to access my chrome account on my laptop. When I open chrome to get on the web it is showing me someone else's bookmarks and info, but no one is signed in. If I try to sign in with my account info Google tells me, my account is already running on this computer...I can still get my email on my nexus
    • By Rufio
      A lot of the programs I have running on my computer came with HTML help files. When the I use the in-program links to open them Chrome just spits out the following error:

This browser does not display help installed on your local machine. Please use another browser to view the help. For more information, see Chromium issue 47416 (http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=47416).
      This is super frustrating because I don't know how to set it up so local files will use IE or FF instead, while still keeping Chrome as my primary browser. I would prefer to just use Chrome for everything though. Does anyone have a fix for this?
      [This is running Chrome version 25.0.1364.172 m]
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 4 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online