groovyPost Forums

Disable Caps Lock Key

Go to solution Solved by Brian,

• 3 weeks later...

If you are not confident to edit the registry you could download a key mapping program.

This one is called Mapkeyboard, you can use it to disable the caps lock key or if you like, give it another function altogether.

http://www.softpedia.com/dyn-postdownload.php?p=60796&t=0&i=1

Is there any possible way to change key configurations without using 3rd party software or editing your registry? Just curious.

If you are not confident to edit the registry you could download a key mapping program.

This one is called Mapkeyboard, you can use it to disable the caps lock key or if you like, give it another function altogether.

@jshepp

From directly in windows you can change the keyboard to that of a different country.

You can alter some other bits and pieces such as you can make the shift keys turn off caps lock.

There’s the stuff in ease of access centre such as sticky keys and probably the most useful thing is that you can set windows to give a warning tone when the CAPS or NUM lock keys are pressed.

From the BIOS you can alter the way your f keys work in combination with the fn key. So for example you might have to press the fn key+f6 to increase the volume. This can be set so that you just press the f6 key without the fn key. I’ve seen a few HP laptops that come pre-configured in this way, handy if you watch DVDs but a pain for people who want to use them for work.

That’s all I can think of right now and as far as custom configurations go you will need to edit the registry or use third party software to do it for you.

There may be some programmable keyboards available that allow you to configure them in the way you want but that's not something I have looked into.

• Solution

Don't be too afraid of the Registry. If you get a program to do it...that program changes Registry Settings. Austin Krause wrote up a great step by step article on how to modify the Registry to disable it... http://www.groovypost.com/howto/howto/how-to-disable-the-caps-lock-key-in-windows-7/

Another trick to deal with the Caps Lock key, is make it alert you if you accidentally hit it.http://www.groovypost.com/howto/windows-make-caps-lock-key-beep-when-pressed/

Theoretically you can manually remap your entire keyboard in the Windows Registry. But it will be a VERY LONG AND TEDIOUS process. I don't recommend it. If all you're after is Caps Lock though, I recommend the article Brian linked.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Guest liz
      By Guest liz
      Hello! I recently tried to follow the instructions in the article 'how to disable startup programs in windows...'. The process seemed to work until after the re-start when I got a serious looking message that basically told me to reinstate everything to a previous date point to avoid damaging the computer. Well I did that because I'm insecure about the inner mysteries of the computer, but would still like to get rid of automatic start-up of my photo programs and other things. So what is really necessary in the start-up and how do I bypass the rather demanding order to re-instate everything after I've unticked the things I think are not needed? Thank you all in advance for your help. My operating system is Windows XP.
      Liz
    • By Rufio
      Most of the time when you install an application, the application likes to automatically start when Windows boots. It does this by adding itself to a registry key.
      Here are a few of the startup registry keys:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesHKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunHKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
      Usually the program can be found in one of those keys, but sometimes instead it will add itself to the startup folders:
      %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup%C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup%
      I've tried locking down these locations by adjusting who can edit these, but that makes it really hard to add applications to them that you actually DO want running at Startup. Does anyone have an easier way of blocking applications from adding themselves to Startup in Windows, while at the same time allowing you to add the ones that you like to startup.

Perhaps if we could just block installers from adding to startup that would be best.
    • Guest Frinky
      By Guest Frinky
      I'm on Windows 7 and I'd like to know how can I change the number of programs the start menu shows. I just want to pin my favorite apps to the start menu and not show any recently opened or most opened apps. That's one thing that really pisses me off...
    • By Simon H
      I tried looking in HKEY_CURRENT_USERSSoftwareMicrosoftWindows LivePhoto for a registry hey to delete but there was nothing there.
      I alsdo deleted the file named Pictures.pd6 at C:Users[username]AppDataLocalMicrosoft Windows Photo Gallery but the tag suggestions are still there.
      I heard there was a navtree file that you can delete but my computer does not have this file.
    • Guest Skippie10
      By Guest Skippie10
      I have been opening several attachments which are saved on my computer and trying to save them in various formats. In the process, I must have changed some settings since when I, now, double click on attachments to emails coming in, they ope in "paint" software and not in the normal formats.
      How do I regress back to the normal software for opening attachments on emails coming in to me?
      Don
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online