r2d20758

Can't assign personal ringtones on Android

I have applied personal ring tones to certain contacts but when they call i get same ring tone for everyone same problem with messages. It shows the personal ring tone and plays proper in contacts list but wont work when they call or message??? Any ideas........thanks

I think i got this figured out. First I made a mistake, when I get a message the personal ring tones do work proper for contacts. The reason they don't work for contacts phone call is because I don't have caller ID so the phone doesn't know who calling to apply the proper ring tone.

I have applied personal ring tones to certain contacts but when they call i get same ring tone for everyone same problem with messages. It shows the personal ring tone and plays proper in contacts list but wont work when they call or message??? Any ideas........thanks

What Android phone do you have? And please feel free to let me know if you have any other questions. I'm building up my Android street cred :)

Hey matt it's a LG-P500h Android version 2.3.3 Does last post about personal ring tones make sense?? Reguarding not having caller ID on my phone. thanks

I think i got this figured out. First I made a mistake, when I get a message the personal ring tones do work proper for contacts. The reason they don't work for contacts phone call is because I don't have caller ID so the phone doesn't know who calling to apply the proper ring tone.

I don't think it has anything to do with the caller ID but everything to do with having them in your contacts list with the proper phone numbers and everything. If they call and the number is blocked or restricted or not in your contact list, it won't know. But if they are in there, you should be able to assign a ringtone. It's been a while since I was on 2.3.3 but I'm pretty sure that's the case. The caller ID comes from your contact list.

I've never heard of a cell phone service that doesn't automatically come with caller ID.
Make sure that each contact has the correct number for incoming calls. Placing a 1 (country code) in front of the number can sometimes mess with the system as well.

Also make sure you are saving the contact's profile after assigning each ringtone, it is the save button at the bottom of the screen.