shockersh

How to Calculate Percent Increase or Decrease / Discount in Excel

Quick question for you groovy excel ppl out there. I'm working with a vendor and need to calculate the discount and/or increase. I know there is a simple excel formula I can use. Just looking for a tip for it.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Here are the formulas I use in Excel:

Percent Increase

=sum(NEW-OLD)/OLD

Percent Decrease or Discount

=sum(OLD-NEW)/OLD

Example: Let's say I bought a stock for $50 and now I'm going to sell it for $125. What is the % Increase of the stock sale? In Excel I would enter =sum(125-50)/50 and it would give me 150% increase.

• Thanks 1

Percent Increase

=sum(NEW-OLD)/OLD

Percent Decrease

=sum(OLD-NEW)/OLD

Example: Let's say I bought a stock for $50 and now I'm going to sell it for $125. What is the % Increase of the stock sale? In Excel I would enter =sum(125-50)/50 and it would give me 150% increase.

Nice work MrGroove. Small typo in your example though. it should be =sum(125-50)/50

• Like 1

Percent Increase

=sum(NEW-OLD)/OLD

Percent Decrease

=sum(OLD-NEW)/OLD

Nice catch @simon H - My bad!

Thanks for catching that!

Percent Increase

=sum(NEW-OLD)/OLD

Percent Decrease

=sum(OLD-NEW)/OLD

bingo - thnx

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Steve
      Question from Reader - Email Form

Hi Tom,

Ouch. I know how it feels losing a days worth of work. The worst part is when you have to recreate what you've already done.

To answer your question, when you found the Entry "OutlookSecureTempFolder" what was the path in the DATA column? I assume you reviewed this post here to find it. It looks like you found the registry key entry so your more than 1/2 way there. Find that key again and you should have the path to your OLK folder and your Excel should be sitting there.

Now the path might be a bit confusing because with Outlook 2007, there actually is "NOT" an OLK folder. For instance, on my XP/Outlook 2007 install, my OLK folder or "Temp Outlook Folder" / "OutlookSecureTempFolder" is:

"c:\Documents and Settings\mrgroove\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Outlook\4V32TZLP"

So if you look on your box you will find what your looking for in the "Content.Outlook" folder. Take a look there and your golden.

Let me know how this works for you!
    • By Wilderness
      Office Excel 2011 - Protect worksheet or workbook - I have protected the worksheet by a password but find I still can copy and past into a new worksheet and then I can change things arround. How can I stop someone being able to change or delete things.
    • By Austin
      Beatrice writes:

I have a question, I know how to do a data validation drop down but I need the one list with two buttons in the same cell and a range of years.Do you know how to do this?
      I work for the school district and they need a particular calendar. They have a cell where you can list the year but it list whole number with a range of 1999 to 2999 and has two buttons.... one to go up in years and one to go lower... Hope this makes sense
    • By Austin
      Mark writes:

Anyway, do you know how,or is it possible to have excel sheet bar displayed in, say two tiers?I do price lists for my company and we carry over 50 different lines of products (automotive) in one price list . So it is tiresome to be going from one end of the list to the other.
      If it is possible,could you post a turorial? The result should look like this:

• By Abby
      I have a list containing dates of birth going from cell A1 to cell A1765 and need to calculate the ages.
      So far I have a row of formulas B1 to B1765 subtracting the dates of birth from todays date. Then I have a row of formulas from C1 to C1765 dividing the number of days by 365 with the cells formatted to show no decimal places to give the number of years.
      I now need to calculate the months and years so for example the age of someone born on 01/12/1980 would be 31 years 2 months and 19 days
      I am thinking of taking the results from column C multiplying them by 365 then subtracting them from the total number of days then dividing by 30 for number of months but this is getting complicated and it doesnt account for months that have more or less than 30 days.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online