groovyPost Forums

Two computers to One USB External Hard Drive

What are you planning on doing with it? Backing up? Just storing documents? Streaming music or hosting stuff? Do you allready have a usb hdd? Or are you planning on buying one? Maybe you should think of buying a NAS. You can connect a NAS to your modem and let it be part of your network. Every pc in the network can reach the NAS and work with it. And if you buy a NAS with more then one bay, you can use it in Raid and backup. I own a Synology DS-110j and I have two laptops, a pc and two Samsung Galaxy that can work with it over wifi. I can even reach the NAS over the internet, no matter what pc im on.

Using a NAS isnt realy backing up. For realy truly backing up you should follow these rules: http://www.taobackup.com/

What are you planning on doing with it? Backing up? Just storing documents? Streaming music or hosting stuff? Do you allready have a usb hdd? Or are you planning on buying one? Maybe you should think of buying a NAS. You can connect a NAS to your modem and let it be part of your network. Every pc in the network can reach the NAS and work with it. And if you buy a NAS with more then one bay, you can use it in Raid and backup. I own a Synology DS-110j and I have two laptops, a pc and two Samsung Galaxy that can work with it over wifi. I can even reach the NAS over the internet, no matter what pc im on.

Using a NAS isnt realy backing up. For realy truly backing up you should follow these rules: http://www.taobackup.com/

Hi Beyond_Life,

Thanks for your response and especially the useful link provided. After a hard drive failure I wanted to ensure that losing data would be a thing of the past. Hence I bought a 1tb external usb hard drive thinking that I could transfer data from my laptop and my desktop pc all in the one go. This is possible but I would have to backup each computer seperately, connecting and disconnecting the usb lead as required. I thought there might have been a usb switch which would allow me to do this, but I believe that this is not possible. I will definitely look into NAS option and the Synology DS-110j.

Thanks, Ziggy.

If you are going to buy a NAS, serious consider buying a NAS with more then one bay. Maybe even a NAS with 4 bays. Then set it up in Raid and al the discs will copy eachother. Then use the usb hdd to back up the NAS daily or every other day, and store that HDD away from your NAS.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By dw96
      Yo all, here's the deal - I've got a ATi Radeon HD 4850, quite good, but it's kind of giving me a headache when it comes to running newer games - 15-20 frames on GTA IV with high settings doesn't sound good to me...
      So the deal is - do I crossfire my current 4850 with another one or do I just buy a new GPU, like a 6950 or a 6970? It's a tough decision to make - just to note - it's not really about the money here, it's just that I'm not 100% sure if the 6000 series is right for me.
      P.S.: Yes, I absolutely MUST get 2GB of GPU memory if I will be going for a new one.(this question is also in the forum: http://www.groovypost.com/forum/hardware-software/crossfire-vs-new-card-t97008.html)
    • By alexmvp
      I've always been an Intel Bigot but now days, does it really matter? It seems like most of the software out there works just fine on both and when you look at the prices. I see several hundred ($$$) reasons to go AMD.
      Thoughts? What does the Crowd Wisdom say about this one?
    • By Steve
      It's that time.... I need to upgrade the system at home a bit. Does anyone have a GREAT monitor they just bought or have you recently done some research you can share with me? Also, if you have any links to some good deals, please share!
      My old setup before I gave it to someone in the family was 2 DELL Ultrasharp 24 inch monitors however I'm hearing Samsung has some pretty nice gear out there now.
      Thanks!
    • Guest GRoPo
      By Guest GRoPo
      recharge problem is the big problem to users as me, recently, I want to replace a new keyboard for old ones, although it's not a newest model, but it fit my choice, LG MK520. for the host page, the page said it's a rechargeable keyboard, and there are sentence in the line said like, it can be changer by putting the keyboard into charger? that why I post and look for someone response. I didn't want to register the LG a/c for just a simple Q, I guess it may said "put......" means the battery but not the keyboard. but the link did said " keyboard into charger"
      is it recharging by putting keyboard into charger?
    • By CobraR
      I have an older LG Optimus V. Early on the Optimus V and Optimus S used different screens and took different drivers. I had CM7 IHO installed on my Optimus V, but now want to sell it. I’ve been running CM7 since Oct. 2011. I no longer have the original ROM backup and downloaded a stock LG Optimus V ROM from the Internet. I installed it after wiping everything and all went well until I rebooted the phone. It booted up just fine with the LG logo and then I hear the Virgin Mobile voice and then the vibration. However, my screen is black. I remember this happening very early on with some mods with the wrong screen drivers. Upon doing a lot more research, I discovered that LG saw fit to use the newer screen from the LG S(sprint) phone in all their builds, including the newew V phones. It appears that the ROM backup I got was from a newer Optimus V phone which uses the screen driver for the Optimus S phone and causes my screen to be black. I could easily fix this if I could get access to my phone and see what I am doing. By installing a new ROM, USB debugging is turned off by default. If I could get a method or commands to use in SDK ADB to enable USB debugging, I could get the phone to display on my computer via either Droid@Screen or Screencast and resolve my problem. But, they do not work if USB debugging is disabled. If there is a way or if there are commands to force Debugging on, I would really appreciate the help. There are many people out there with this same problem, however the people that say they have the answer.....DON’T. They all say to use one of the 2 programs I mentioned and then tell you to make sure debugging is turned on. What they seem to forget is that the screen is black and that is the problem in the first place and you can’t see to turn USB debugging on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You for any help you can provide.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online