groovyPost Forums

Recover Deleted Email in Outlook [Article Comments]

Steve Krause

In an earlier forum dated October 10, 2008, there was some discussion concerning recovering deleted emails using the pst file. On November 7, 2008, Ravi Luck @MrGroove posted he had recovered deleted emails using a pst file. He located the pst file and "then in the file, under its properties (maybe advanced properties), restored it to a date before the email was deleted". I have located my pst file but cannot restore it to a date before the emails I am looking for were deleted. Can someone tell me how to restore the pst file to an earlier date?

I have succesfully restored some of the deleted emails in the pst file by corrupting the pst file with a hex editor and using SCANPST.exe to recover the file. The problem is, the recovery operation doesn't restore the deleted emails to a date far enough in the past.

I think what your talking about was the guy who used Shadow Copy on his Vista box to restore the PST to an earlier version.

I've not used XP in awhile however with Windows Vista and Windows 7, Shadow copies are turned on by default so when you right click on the file there is an option "Restore previous versions". You just click on that and hope you have a previous version of the file.

• 5 months later...
Hi MrGroovy,

I need help recovering emails from my IMAP account on outlook 2003 running off Windows XP.

I have purge deleted emails and I need to recover them.

Please help

Greetings and welcome to groovyPost.com!

Your problem is not uncommon. Fortunatly when you delete email inside of a PST file, the email and folders is not actually deleted. Before you can recover the emails however you first need to corrupt the PST file (take a copy of it first!!!) then use a microsoft tool to do the recovery.

The entire write-up can be found here: microsoft-office/how-to-corupt-an-outlook-pst-file-to-recover-delete-email-t95682.html

Keep us updated on that thread if you need more help.

• 4 weeks later...

The Query relating to Microsoft Outlook 2007, while archieving the Sent Item mail folder, one of my friend deleted the entire mail tree structure, (which contains Inbox, Sent Item, other personal folders), do you have any solutions for the same, I have to recover back all folders, because those sent item folder contains important mails, at any cost i have to recover back... please guide me....

Uttam

The Query relating to Microsoft Outlook 2007, while archieving the Sent Item mail folder, one of my friend deleted the entire mail tree structure, (which contains Inbox, Sent Item, other personal folders), do you have any solutions for the same, I have to recover back all folders, because those sent item folder contains important mails, at any cost i have to recover back... please guide me....

Uttam

Hi Uttam, the thread that MrGroove pointed out above:

Actually has the step-by-step for corrupting the PST file then recovering it with scanpst.exe

If you follow that process it will recover ALL emails and folders which should make you 100%.

Post over on that thread if you have issues.

• 5 months later...
Guest Fabian Robles

Hi, I have a PC with Win XP and Office 2007 account in Exchange corporative (mails stored in .pst folder). I created registry key for DumpsterAlwaysOn to value 1 and I can see the option Recover Deleted Items (RDI), but the problem now is that I can't see any e-mail in the listbox for recovery...by any folder (Inbox or Deleted Items). I tested deleting a e-mail at both folders (Inbox and Deleted Items) and opening the RDI, but the same case...the listbox is empty. Why? What can I do, any tip or recomendation? Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

Hi fabian.

You mention that your mail is stored in a .pst folder however your mailbox is hosted in Exchange. Which is it? Do you move all new email into your PST folder?

Remember, you can only recover deleted items from your Exchange folder as that is where the "dumpster bin" is located. It's an Outlook / Exchange feature. Not an outlook PST feature.

Perhaps you can give me more info on where the email is "PST or Exchange Mailox" when you try to recover it.

Also, I "think" the feature needs to be enabled on the exchange server also so check with your IT guy running the exchange server. He needs to enable the feature on the exchange server to enable the dumpster bin. I think he can set how many days the mail is available after it's deleted. I'm guessing he might not have done that.

• 1 year later...
Guest ronaldnaka

I already had the DumpsterAlwaysOn-Dword value in my registry. I deleted it and then used the link that had the file which automatically added the the value and I still do NOT have the “recover deleted items” in the tools. I’m using Microsoft Outlook 2003 just like @Tran.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Guest Danny_5683

Hi,

I would seek your kind advise on an issue that occurred earlier today. Would truly appreciate every helping hand rendered.

While I was trying to proceed on setting up my MSO Archive settings, there were several errors that occurred stating: “error while archiving folder "junk e-mail" in store”. And this resulted in the failure of an archive procedure. Each time I attempted to create an archive, it failed with the *.pst file being the size of 265kb only. Emails were still in place of the created folders for MSO.

I then realized that the Junk folder had few duplicates (i.e.: there was a junk folder in my inbox, in my other folders etc), hence I proceed to delete the duplicate junk folders leaving 1 only – the original folder. Once more, I proceed to create the archive but the error appeared again and there were no emails in the archived folder but still appeared in the general inbox folders. After checking the errors, I decided to delete the PST file in order to try again. The step taken to delete the file was using the “SHIFT+DELETE” method. But when I proceed to Outlook again to try to archive once more, I then realized that the emails were no longer there. I think it got deleted when I deleted the PST files. Not sure why there were a time lag and the emails did not appear in the archived folders earlier.

I had tried using 3rd party tools like PC Inspector File Recovery application which was to no avail. It had traces of other files amounting to 13000 plus files except this particular PST file.

I was wondering if the emails could be recovered back somehow as the exchange servers does not create backups at their end. I would truly appreciate your help and assistance in advising with other possible alternatives in finding a fix for this matter.

Thank you in advance and I look forward to your reply soon as this matter is pretty important for me.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CTwildheart

I am using Microsoft Outlook 2007 with Windows XP. I do not have 'recover deleted items' in my tools menu as everything I've read said I should. I followed your instructions...but everything was set up the way you said to change it to. DumpsteralwaysOn, the value was 1. I have no idea what to do???

• 2 months later...
I am using Microsoft Outlook 2007 with Windows XP. I do not have 'recover deleted items' in my tools menu as everything I've read said I should. I followed your instructions...but everything was set up the way you said to change it to. DumpsteralwaysOn, the value was 1. I have no idea what to do???

Hi - Although you might be running Outlook, what is your backend email server? Is this a work account or home? Is your email from GMAIL or a corporate Exchange server?